Player having bad attitude?

Coylter,

Note Thrax's forum title......it explains much about the "vets" that I mentioned before

I like TW.....until I found this place I always thought I was egotistical

To the guy who says it's easy to break a turtle, I would like to know what newbie server you're playing on. I've done Heavy Offense for quite some time and I can tell you that against a defense that's even semi-competent, turtles are hell to break. They may be relatively easy to bust up now since people havent learned the game yet, but in a few months, they become almost impossible to stop without being on voice comm with your teammates.

As for the original post, I think that it sucks that you got booted for not really knowing the rules, but you need to realize that flag standoffs are NOT fun after you've done them for a while. If you enjoy standoffs, you should seriously consider competing in ladder competition because chances are, you'll get to enjoy some really nice stalemates. When you've been in a match that went into 4 overtimes, make sure you come back and post about how much fun you had.

It sucks to get bitched out by veterans, but behind all the complaining there is some actual knowledge. People are going to be rude at times, but try and at least see what their point is. If you want to host a server and have your own rules, please do, but when you're on someone elses server and they tell you something, either listen or leave.

Turtling won't be acceptable on most any pub server worth a damn. If it isn't apparent, you should know it's not going to change. :shrug:

But maybe you can make a difference by being a forum warrior on the subject.

yeah turtling in a pub has never been fun. I've seen so many people do it in the last couple of days though, even people that should know better.

n9ne said:
something tells me we're gonna be seeing lots of threads like this =o

Like Aids in Africa its gonna be an epidemic once game goes retail.

And thanks to those who gave this guy a civil response.

Last edited:
How about we make sticky the rationalizations and reasons for all the server rules, lock it, and just ban anyone that makes a thread in protest.

While I always play "when in rome," things like this tend to slide downhill into "don't kill me with this weapon in this circumstance."

In a match, anything goes, I've yet to see a team "take the high road" to winning.
In a match a gamed scored 1-1 that goes into a turtle can be very exciting.

Inna pub, fun is the name of the game, so turtling sucks.

Stilgar said:
While I always play "when in rome," things like this tend to slide downhill into "don't kill me with this weapon in this circumstance."

In a match, anything goes, I've yet to see a team "take the high road" to winning.
In a match a gamed scored 1-1 that goes into a turtle can be very exciting.

Inna pub, fun is the name of the game, so turtling sucks.

And yet their are still people posting in this thread that dont get it. Grimjack or whatever, it isnt just TW that have these rules. It is the whole community that does, you will just get a more straight to the point kind of answer here.

Outlaw. said:
turtle all you want, it's all about winning.

Thats my way of thinking. But if you dont want to win.....i'll just dont do it.

Thanx Thrax that was a very good explanation. I'll try to stick to the rules more from now on.

Sorry for the bad way i made my first post. I was kinda frustrated.

Oh and btw i dont snipe at all. Normaly i just go for the flag or kill the other team snipers. I use a light armor + Spinfusor/Chaingun/GrenadesLauncher + Shield pack. I also use my grenades a lot....so dont worry i am not a lame player. :)

Last edited:
Coylter said:
Thats my way of thinking. But if you dont want to win.....i'll just dont do it.

Thanx Thrax that was a very good explanation. I'll try to stick to the rules more from now on.

Sorry for the bad way i made my first post. I was kinda frustrated.

Oh and btw i dont snipe at all. Normaly i just go for the flag or kill the other team snipers. I use a light armor + Spinfusor/Chaingun/GrenadesLauncher + Shield pack. I also use my grenades a lot....so dont worry i am not a lame player. :)

glad to see you taking it all in stride.

by the way, Thrax is one of the developers, and even he acknowledges these rules

One thing I've noticed... when someone takes the flag inside and I global to not turtle, I often have to explain what turtle means. A real pain in the ass in the middle of a game, but 3 out of 4 times today, when I explained it, the person left the base.

Id love to see a movie where a top team is doing that. LK or Skillz using the command screen and everyone going to their waypoint and then waiting

after reading this thread in its entirity i find that anyone who has been a part of the tw community for longer than a year agrees on no turtle. and most of the members that are posting (in less than inteligable english) are favoring turtle tactics.

i find it interesting that the people who have played and enjoyed the tribes franchise for up to 7 years are having thier opinions trashed by people who think they know better.

coming from a management standpoint, this sounds like the classical newschool vs. oldschool argument. however there is a glaring difference. nothing has changed significantly enough to bring about a newschool.

turtleing was, is and always will be complete fa66otry done by newbies who cant duel themselves out of a paper bag. teams have and will continue to, lose the flag in standoffs due to lack of coordinated defence.

g4y tactics should be used where winning matters, not where fun matters.

for anyone who thinks that turtleing is fun, you should also try these hom0 tactics in pubs:
-tank on flag
-burner turret d
-snipe o
-6 man farmer d
-feel free to add more, im sure you'll discover all the newberific tactics that t:v has to offer.

as for me, ill be playing on 5150 east3 or whatever west coast server pops up as the new stackeasy.net from the good old b++days of t2

*edit* gah, silly tt rewording my stuff.

Last edited:
PxR|GrimJack said:
believe him on this.....your Tribes career was never in danger

contra to the ego driven mania here at TW, they are not the be all & end all in Tribes.....

there is a TW tradition of not turtling in pubs.....one they assume that EVERYONE must know...since everyone that IS anyone MUST be at TW (its an ego thing, dont worry if it doesnt make sense, you're prob better off)

dont worry about not knowing, just realize that whoever pays for the server makes the rules...you'll run into such rules at times

Back