Ping/Lag Spikes

LOL Internet

Veteran XV
I'm having some trouble with lag and ping spikes in stuff like CS:S and Ventrilo. Basically I'll be on Vent getting ~60ms and it'll jump up to 250-350 until I restart my router. Also I've noticed that occasionally I'll be unable to do basically anything online except for AIM (which always seems to work..), and that will last a couple minutes.

I'm Using Windows XP with the firewall turned off, and a Netgear router. Just recently formatted my computer to try to fix this, and it didn't work. I never had any of these problems until a few weeks ago, and I haven't changed anything.

I assume it's the router because when I've connected my computer directly it's been fine. I'm not sure what to do.. was thinking about going and buying a new router tomorrow, if anyone has suggestions (needs to have wireless).

Thanks for posting LOL.

Before I can help you, I'll need some more information about your router, specifically what's the model number?

Okay, it sounds like the problem is that you've got the NAT firewall enabled on the router. This can block incoming internet access from working properly, keeping games and other applications from establishing necessary connections over the internet.

While I can't walk you through this process step by step, I can offer some information that may help you resolve this problem:

First you'll need to figure out which ports to open. Let's start with the ports that Counter Strike: Source uses to access the internet:

Steam Friends: 1200 UDP
Steam: 27000 through 27015 UDP.
Steam2: 27020 through 27050 TCP.

These were the only three that I was able to find information on.

Note: The following ISP service providers have known issues with Steam games:

* Dutch Telecom (Steam traffic blocked)
* ISPFree (Steam traffic blocked)
* TalkTalk (bandwidth throttling reduces download speeds)
* Bluewin (Firewall blocks Steam from provider side - must be disabled through provider's service portal)

----------------------------------------------------------

Now that we know which ports we need to open up, here's a quick link to checking your router's settings:

Netgear's Port-Forwarding Information Page

This will help you get into your router to configure the necessary ports.

-----------------------------------------------------------

You may need additional ports for your other games and applications, you may check out this Netgear Page on common applications and games and the ports they use.

Opened those ports and it doesn't seem to have helped :(

I don't think that's the problem since before this started happening I had the same exact settings, same router etc.

Thanks for your help so far, really appreciate it.

Well, the only thing I can think of are port limitations on the router's end, it could have been your ISP but you said you have no problems when you're connected directly to the modem.

It might be time for a new router, heh.

Back