[Photoshop] Adjusting photos (halp)

Zear

Veteran XV
So I've been using a utility to stitch photos together into panoramas. Many look great, but I have some that are difficult. For instance:

2004210826382109684_rs.jpg

The problem is that my camera changed exposure settings, etc. After stitching the photos together, I get the above abrupt change in the middle.

Now I imagine I should be balancing these before stitching them together. Is there some magic method for doing this in Photoshop 7 (or equivalent)? Or do I have to use trial and error until it looks right? Would it be easier (or even possible) to rectify this after the pano has been assembled?

Additionally, does anyone know a good way to balance the sky vs. foreground, so that I get the darker blue sky, but the better lit foliage, in the whole image? The only way I see is to take two images with different settings and combine them later, but my PS skills are weak and I always end up with poorly blended seams. I assume this is a case of not knowing my techniques well enough as well.

I know there are PS experts here. Anyone want to throw me a bone?

Last edited:
There's a couple methods. One way is to use multiple layers and adjust each until they match and use an alpha gradiant between the two.

The simpler hack and slash way are to use the burn/dodge tools until they match. Then a simple hue/saturation buff to make the colors pop.

OK. I guess I'll have to go to Google to learn the details. At least now I know what to look for. Thanks.

I'll try to remember to post more and larger tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions and efforts.

This lake is special due to location. There is no trail. You don't see mountains in the background only because this is near the top of a sizeable mountain itself. The views are utterly spectacular. We have only seen evidence of other visitors once, and it was years ago. There are several scrambles and bouldering opportunities nearby, as well as several other fun cross-country side-trips. We have isolation and it is pristine. There may be others like it, but this one is ideal for us.

Your problem is not photoshop, your problem is your photography.

You need to shoot panos in manual so the exposure doesn't change. If you can't do that (point and shoot, etc) - sucks for you. There's no way to change this.

As far as the darker sky, idk, use a grad filter id imagine or just touch it up (after the pano is stiched) in photoshop.

Last edited:
Back