Photos from the new Air and Space wing at Dulles:

I'll have to get there just to see the Enola Gay.

How does this rate compared to the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum?

Buk Naked said:
I'll have to get there just to see the Enola Gay.

How does this rate compared to the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum?
It is an annex of the main one, so not as big and impressive. But it has some excellent displays there. If you like this stuff, you'll like the Air & Space at Dulles.

Keep in mind it's fairly new. When the place is finished it should be pretty sweet. You will be able to see the whole restoration shop.

PS: I'm sitting next to the RIO(do they still call them RIO's even when they sit side by side?) of the A-6 thats on display. :)

Last edited:
Got Haggis? said:
whats the history of that baka suicide bomb thingy
It's actually the MXY7 Ouka (cherry blossom.) The US Navy called it "baka" (idiot.)

It was a suicide rocket plane designed to be carried by G4Ms to just beyond the engagement range of American fleets... They'd be released en masse and would target important ships. Since they were rocket planes, they were ridiculously hard to track for the gunners on the ships and were impossible for the fighter cover to catch.

They were basically manned cruise missiles.

The Germans also had a manned version of the V-1, but it was never actually used to my knowledge.

Kurayami said:
It's actually the MXY7 Ouka (cherry blossom.) The US Navy called it "baka" (idiot.)

It was a suicide rocket plane designed to be carried by G4Ms to just beyond the engagement range of American fleets... They'd be released en masse and would target important ships. Since they were rocket planes, they were ridiculously hard to track for the gunners on the ships and were impossible for the fighter cover to catch.

They were basically manned cruise missiles.

The Germans also had a manned version of the V-1, but it was never actually used to my knowledge.

Not sure why but I didn't think of it much untill I saw the big aiming crosshair on the nose which gave me an eerie feeling.

IIRC the description said this version was not used but there was a previous version that was.

Bridude said:
IIRC the description said this version was not used but there was a previous version that was.
There were a bunch of different types, but only one saw service (Type 11, I think. ~800 built.)

There were other versions with different engines (including some with turbojets instead of rockets for greater range,) but they never saw service.

Not sure why but I didn't think of it much untill I saw the big aiming crosshair on the nose which gave me an eerie feeling.
Contrary to popular belief, a lot of the pilots actually had to be sealed in the cockpits. Once they were in, it couldn't be opened from the inside.

The guys that were OK with suicide attacks were generally the seasoned veterans... They saw it as a duty. The kids that they yanked into service, gave not even a week of flight training to (it's not like they had to land or anything,) and then strapped into suicide planes tended to be less calm about it, but once they were in, they had no choice. They were going to die anyway. They just had to decide if they were going to die honorably and take some of the enemy with them, or die by sitting there, doing nothing, and plunging into the ocean.

The Udvar-Hazy center out there at Dulles is fucking awesome. I have pics somewhere from when I went a few months ago.

I couldn't believe how big the shuttle really is.

Bridude said:
damn thats fucked up.
Yeah.

They made a documentary about suicide pilots in Japan a few years back. It mostly consisted of recorded radio traffic that had never been publically released.

I don't think it has been released outside of Japan, but it definitely shook the long standing belief that most suicide pilots were calm, composed, and resigned to their fate until they died.

The veterans are a different story, but most of them got their wings in the '30s when Japan had the most rigid and exhaustive pilot training in the world (less than 5% of the people that made it to naval flight school graduated.) Those guys had insane levels of discipline, so guiding their aircraft into a ship wasn't a terribly big deal for them.

The veteran pilots that survived their suicide runs (like Saburo Sakai... a storm rolled in and hid his target) generally were glad that they didn't die, but were fully prepared to do it without question.

VonTed said:
And WW2 planes are tiny compared to today's.
Thats what I thought, but the Do-335 was MASSIVELY large. It was much larger then any other fighter in the building. The P-38 was pretty big too, atleast larger then any of the Korean or Vietnam era fighters.

Do 355 Pfiel
Do335s.jpg

http://www.datawhore.org/homeslice/Do335.jpg

Mig15
Mig15s.jpg

http://www.datawhore.org/homeslice/Mig15.jpg

Arado 234
Ar234s.jpg

http://www.datawhore.org/homeslice/Ar234.jpg

Among other things there that really shocked me were a HE 219 Uhu and they had one of the original Horten brother's HO1 gliders.

Last edited:
Back