Pentium 820D vs Barton 2500?

Bologna Joe

Veteran X
Currently I am running a Barton 2500 OC to 2 GHz @ 400 MHz bus.
I have come across a chance to get the following:

1. Intel® Pentium® D 820 processor
2. Intel® Desktop Board D945PSN
3. Microsoft Windows XP Professional
4. Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0

for $215 Canadian. It seems to be a pretty good deal and I'm definately interested in switching over but I was wondering what the performance would be like if I switched to the 820D.

I figure that for multitasking the dual core would be really nice and of course going to PCI Express will be a good upgrade but as far as single processing I'm not sure how much better the 820 is if it is at all.

If someone knows or could drop me a link to some benchmarks I would appreciate it. So far all the numbers that I have found show that the two chips are pretty close in performance. Also would there be a good reason for me not to switch?

Thanks

BJ

Isn't the Pentium D 820 64-bit? I see it being a good buy... And yes it's faster than your 2500+, by how much would consider on what you do with it...

Wait a sec, that's a damn 64-bit dual core chip, and you can get it for $215 with that board and software? Fuck I'd go for it, christ are you retarded? It retails for $250 alone...

you getting it from http://retailedge.intel.com ?
I believe it's $215 US and you'll have to pay customs and handling fee to have it shipped from the US. UPS will fuck you up the ass.. I know cause mine is still sore from 2 years ago when I ordered mine.

but it's still a good deal

PS, before any Joe Blow starts signing up for the website, you'll have to be an employee of one of the qualifying retailers AND be able to prove it by mailing Intel a copy of your paystub. AND you'll have to amass 7000 points before the end of the year to be able to order the package.

Pea_Soup said:
you getting it from http://retailedge.intel.com ?
I believe it's $215 US and you'll have to pay customs and handling fee to have it shipped from the US. UPS will fuck you up the ass.. I know cause mine is still sore from 2 years ago when I ordered mine.

but it's still a good deal

PS, before any Joe Blow starts signing up for the website, you'll have to be an employee of one of the qualifying retailers AND be able to prove it by mailing Intel a copy of your paystub. AND you'll have to amass 7000 points before the end of the year to be able to order the package.

It is from that site, didn't realize that it was US, someone told me that it was Canadian so thanks for bringing that to my attention. I've already amassed the 7000 points needed. What kind of costs did UPS add to it? And what else should I know? The purchase program doesn't actually start until the end of October.

Bologna Joe said:
It is from that site, didn't realize that it was US, someone told me that it was Canadian so thanks for bringing that to my attention. I've already amassed the 7000 points needed. What kind of costs did UPS add to it? And what else should I know? The purchase program doesn't actually start until the end of October.
Go for 10000 points if you can sine it'll guarentee you a spot for the purchase program.

When you are sending in your paystub, just black-marker out the info you don't them to know (like how much you make)

and UPS paid customs for me but forgot to ask me for it at the door, so they kept on mailing me a gazillion bills to pay them. I think it was $20-30 for the GST and customs fee.

shipping was $21 US from 2 years ago.

I don't think I'll be able to get to 10 000 before Oct 24th but I'll certainly try. So I guess I'm looking at around $250-$275 US for the package... that still seems like a good deal.

Anyway still looking for actual numbers comparing it to what I have now.

BJ

Back