pc help: not posting

{CN}DarthMaul

Veteran X
well, after about 10 different probs with my new computer, ive run into one i cant figure out..

when I turn it on, everything powers up but it wont initialize the bios. My monitor comes up saying its not synched. Now, ive tried 3 different vid cards(2 i know are good)so I know its not the vid card.

oh, and right before i started getting this problem my bios wouldnt run with it configured for my cpu(2100+), it would run as the default(1500+), but not mine. If I would restart I would get the problem I have now, only way to fix was to clear the CMOS. But now, even that doesnt even work...

bad cpu??

system specs:
xp 2100+
abit kx7-333r
1 gig pc3000 cas2 corsair ddr ram
(2) 120 gig WD Hard drives(8 meg cache)
gainward gf4 4600
SB audigy
pioneer dvd-rom
plextor cdrw

Welp.. No beep codes?

Take it down to the bare minimum. One memory stick (if u can), vid card and CPU.. No sound or anything else.

With the ABITs - You can reset the board by holding INSERT down for some time when you turn on the power. That takes you back to "fail-safe settings".

Bad CPU's happen, but BIOS settings that are way out of field will make it not even POST.

I doubt if re-seating the cou or vid card will matter, but it can't hurt.

it sounds like maybe the board wasnt originally meant to support a 2100+...try updating the bios? (underclock the processor, update, then change clock speed back)

that's gonna be hard to do if he can't post.

run the bare min's and try and get post from it

Oktane said:
He said it works clocked at 1500 though..

{CN}DarthMaul said:
oh, and right before i started getting this problem my bios wouldnt run with it configured for my cpu(2100+), it would run as the default(1500+), but not mine. If I would restart I would get the problem I have now, only way to fix was to clear the CMOS. But now, even that doesnt even work...

I'd agree, if you can update the bios do it by all means.

hmm..if it worked before and it doesnt now, maybe try checking the processor for bent pins? if you pulled the processor to check while you were troubleshooting, it's possible you may have bent a pin putting it back in, you never know...would be worth checking imo.

i don't think post incorporates the agp slot in it's start up test

(sp? incorporates??) too lazy to run spell check, srry

LockNTross said:
pull everything out but HDD, PSU, CPU, RAM, VIDEO AND MB.

done that.. get the same prob

ive tried running just mobo, ram, vid card.. then tried same plus HD. Still get this same problem. I haven't moved the cpu since this problem came up, so it cant be a bent pin or anything.

oh, and no beeps now...was getting them long ago.. 3 high pitch followed by 3 low pitch.. but that problem seemed to go away..vgd

Last edited:
if you tried all that, sounds like either you need to update the bios, or it's a bad processor...or perhaps both.

D, pull out all your ram.

put in only 1 stick. press it down till you hear it 'click'

also, have you tried resetting your bios??

take the memory out.. it'll still post and make a noise without memory... and he cant update bios if it wont post.

31073 said:
take the memory out.. it'll still post and make a noise without memory... and he cant update bios if it wont post.

reset and update are 2 different things.

also, please read the whole thread. :rolleyes:

Oktane said:
if you tried all that, sounds like either you need to update the bios, or it's a bad processor...or perhaps both.

i was responding to this actually.. and i've had it not post with memory in but with memory out it beeped. which indicated that there was bad memory..

tried both sticks by themselves and also with no ram.. same deal..

forgot to put this in... after turning it on, the only way i can shut it off is by turning off the battery backup or unplugging it..the power switch works for on, but not for off

Back