[PC Help] Dead Computer

DarkBlade

Veteran XX
Specs:

Motherboard: Asus P5W DH
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
PSU: Antec 480 Watts Neopower

A few weeks ago I rebooted the computer because it was messing up, and it didn't come back on. Push the power button, nothing.

I did the usual, unplug everything, move RAM around, nothing. I ended up sending the motherboard back to newegg because the CPU_FAN connector did not work, and I figured that was the problem anyways. I got it back last week and hooked everything up and still nothing.

Since then I've tried another PSU, another CPU and still nothing. I've made sure the power connections are correct on the motherboard that go to the case.

The only thing I have no tried is RAM, but I've tried both sticks independently in each of the 4 memory banks and nothing.

I'm leaning towards the RAM being bad as its the only thing I don't have an extra set of to test, however what are the chances of both sticks of RAM going bad.

When it died there wasn't anything unsual, just some programs stopped responding and I rebooted and it never came back up.

What happens when you push the power button? Do lights/fans come on? Do you hear any beeps from the motherboard?

What happens when you push the power button? Do lights/fans come on? Do you hear any beeps from the motherboard?

Nothing happens, no fans, no drives.

When the power supply is plugged in a green light is lit on the motherboard, so there is some power going to it.

Just to be clear you have no PCI cards or drives connected, right?

Correct, I have the 24pin power, 4 pin power, the power button from the case and the cpu fan are the only things connected.

By what you describe, it could be the motherboard, processor, memory, disk drives, video card, or the power supply.

Unplug 20/24pin from PSU going to mobo, take a paperclip and short green pin to any black. if the PSU has a switch, turn it off, paperclip it, then turn it on. See if fans will spin. If fans spin when paperclipped but not when plugged to mobo, you may have a blown capacitor on the mobo or other damage.

No fans come on, but there is a light on the MB. Is that light coming from a network card built in perhaps? If so it might be getting its power from your network connection.

If not fans are coming on then there are two potabilities. Strangely, your power supply may have a really bad problem and electroshocked your Motherboard frying it. Two: Your switch is bad.

cpu, mobo, psu..the only things that can cause the symptoms it has.

oh, and failure to put the power button header in the right place, obviously.

you can test that by jumping it with metal (screwdriver is easiest)

Seriously tho, it sounds like you got a defective motherboard. You can pick up a cheap stick of ddr2 ram from a local shop for pretty cheap. You dont need both sticks of ram to test, just 1.

What are your video card specs? I know that if it uses an external power connector, not having it hooked up will cause a symptom like what you have.

edit: oh yeah. forgot about checking your power switch. Just short the 2 pins together on the fp header and if it fires up, then it's your power switch.

Last edited:
Unplug 20/24pin from PSU going to mobo, take a paperclip and short green pin to any black. if the PSU has a switch, turn it off, paperclip it, then turn it on. See if fans will spin. If fans spin when paperclipped but not when plugged to mobo, you may have a blown capacitor on the mobo or other damage.

I did that with the original power supply and it worked fine. The power supply that is hooked up right now was just taken from a computer that was working. And the motherboard I just got the RMA back from newegg last week, assuming it isn't DOA.

No fans come on, but there is a light on the MB. Is that light coming from a network card built in perhaps? If so it might be getting its power from your network connection.

The light that is on is described as motherboard power, and nothing is plugged into the back.

oh, and failure to put the power button header in the right place, obviously.
Checked that multiple times.

i would unplug everything, then start narrowing down error codes.

I would do that if I only could get that far.

Seriously tho, it sounds like you got a defective motherboard. You can pick up a cheap stick of ddr2 ram from a local shop for pretty cheap. You dont need both sticks of ram to test, just 1.

What are your video card specs? I know that if it uses an external power connector, not having it hooked up will cause a symptom like what you have.

edit: oh yeah. forgot about checking your power switch. Just short the 2 pins together on the fp header and if it fires up, then it's your power switch.
Its a eVGA 6800GT 256mb. And if that was the case, wouldn't the whole system still power on even though there isn't a video card in.

Back