Passenger trains?

chunky munky

Veteran X
Does anyone ride them anymore?

amtrak-train.gif

If you have no where to go, and all day/week to get there, maybe ....

It depends on where you are. If you are on the eastern corridor it is not a bad way to get between cities in BosWash. I usually find it to be not worth the money however. It is around $90 one way to get from Boston to New York and bus tickets for the same route generally run $15-$25 and take the same amount or less time.

Boston to Portland is a great deal, though. Only $24 and a 2.5 hour ride.

They keep talking about a " high speed " train from NorCal to SoCal, I'll believe it when I see it.

Its usually cheaper & faster to drive even with the fucked up gas prices.

They keep talking about a " high speed " train from NorCal to SoCal, I'll believe it when I see it.

Its usually cheaper & faster to drive even with the fucked up gas prices.

I don't see how it can work on the west coast. Here on the east coast, it is 400 miles from Boston to Washington with pretty much continuous metro along the route. In California it is 350 miles from SF to LA with jack shit in the middle. You guys don't have the population or the density to do it.

I did once...NEVER AGAIN!

Train broke down middle of nowhere it took 3 hours to get rolling again. Then since the 3 hour delay the water ran out for the bathrooms... :shock: It smelled great :disgust:

I have, Amtrack.

It was great. Fresh air, laid back staff, beautiful stations, interesting sites and leg room to spare. The obvious trade off is of course that it takes longer, but I would gladly take a train over an airports security, noise, and stale air. In about a month I will take a ride that should be about 15 hrs. I could drive it in 6-7 hrs, but would much rather take a train.

I take amtrak from NY to Boston sometimes...the acela is real nice, faster and nicer than driving

the major downside is the cost...a regular 1 way ticket is like 80-100, acela is 100-130...just can't compete with the bus that costs 20 bucks

I agree...once you subtract out the college students, bus passengers as a whole are maybe the weirdest/sketchiest group of people Ive ever encountered

but until I reach the point where I don't give a shit between 20 bucks and 130 bucks, the bus it is for me

Back