Our schools are so bad, even the military wont take them...

This is funny logic, considering capitalism doesn't function very well without creative and intelligent people creating the things which will be consumed.
Obviously, you get some of those even if education is piss poor. Out of a million people there will always be a couple who are naturally smart and motivated enough to innovate. The rest don't need to be any brighter than knowing how to scoop up marketing bullshit and keep buying stuff.

you can thank programs like No Child Left Behind and the new standardized tests

instead of teaching kids to be smart and able to think for themselves, teachers have to worry about teaching kids how to pass these tests, or else the school will lose funding or get shut down

It doesn't help that the rest of the world is kicking our asses in education, which is not really a surprise.

China's students just participated in the PISA exam for the first time ever and absolutely trounced us along with everyone else:

NBC Nightly News: PISA Exam Results

Spoiler

question: whats so good about having smart high school students? most won't go on to college or will and fail out and do nothing so you're wasting resources, in effect being less efficient. Our colleges are where you need to be smart and given that our country has something like 50-70 of the top 100 universities in the world...yeah we're doing fine education wise because when it comes to things like knowing where other countries are in the world and knowing history...all that shit is useless for being able to flip burgers in mcdonalds, serving the people who actually create ideas for the USA to use or export and the kids who do need to know that, do know that.

Our education is mostly fine.

Sorry, I cant be concerned about how American students measure up on some misc testing when we produce so much more. People like to compare how our students preform at stuff like math Vs Chinese students. Well if it takes 14 Chinese people to equal a single American as far as GDP contribution, what the hell does it matter? If we are a bunch of bumbling idiots then why do we make the most productive workers?

The OP article is dumb too. Did they ever think that maybe stupid people enlist in the army? A vast majority of the people from high school that had planned to join the military were as dumb as rocks.

Our education is mostly fine.

Sorry, I cant be concerned about how American students measure up on some misc testing when we produce so much more.

America doesn't produce anything. Your biggest export is waste paper.

Aren't they only testing the people who want to join?

Because if so, I think it says way more about the pool of people who want to join the military at this point than the education system.

Because if so, I think it says way more about the pool of people who want to join the military at this point than the education system.

when I was in highschool almost everyone took the asvab their junior year, even though 95% of the class went to college right after high school.

America doesn't produce anything. Your biggest export is waste paper.

whoops

Top 12 U.S. Exports

The following product categories were America’s leading exports in 2007. These categories represent about 38% of total U.S. exports during the year.

1. Semiconductors ... US$50.2 billion (4.3% of US total Exports, down 4.3% from 2006)
2. Complete civilian aircraft ... $48.8 billion (4.2%, up 19.6%)
3. Automotive parts and accessories ... $44.2 billion (3.8%, up 2%)
4. New and used passenger cars ... $43.7 billion (3.8%, up 28.6%)
5. Other industrial machines ... $38.3 billion (3.3%, up 17.1%)
6. Pharmaceutical preparations ... $35 billion (3%, up 13.2%)
7. Telecommunications equipment ... $31.4 billion (2.7%, up 10.8%)
8. Organic chemicals ... $31.4 billion (2.7%, up 15.7%)
9. Electric apparatus ... $31.1 billion (2.7%, up 4.2%)
10. Computer accessories ... $29.4 billion (2.5%, down 18.7%)
11. Plastic materials ... $29.1 billion (2.5%, up 15.6%)
12. Medicinal equipment ... $23.8 billion (2.1%, up 5%).

persons in the military are generally more intelligent than the civilian population at large. I'm not saying that they're smart, I'm saying the civilian population is dumb.

I'd like to remind you all how really stupid the average person is. You give the general population too much credit, really you do. most people aren't even post conventional thinkers (they cant think through hypothetical situations in the third person)

tribalwar is not a slice of society, it represents a sample that is dramatically more intelligent than the general population.

Last edited:
You can't educate people who don't want to be educated. They will forever fuck up the curve as long as we are forced to try to teach them. The problem is these kids are a drain on our system. They waste a lot of time the teachers could otherwise use to teach kids that want to learn.

The problem starts in the home early in life and the politicians try to fix the problem on the backend by throwing more money at the schools which the teacher unions soak up in salaries as fast as possible which has pretty much left us in the exact same situation with richer teachers.

Most teachers know within the first day or two where a student is going to end up. Making a child see the light doesn't happen as often as Edward James Olmos and Michelle Pfeiffer would like you to think. They need to bring back the idea of flunking out and stop wasting our money trying to teach the unteachable (at least in HS).

stupid people are the most likely candidates to try and de-rail every thread with whining about Obama or general racist nonsense

yes havax, i am putting you on the same intellectual level as NGFM

:bigthumb:

question: whats so good about having smart high school students? most won't go on to college or will and fail out and do nothing so you're wasting resources, in effect being less efficient. Our colleges are where you need to be smart and given that our country has something like 50-70 of the top 100 universities in the world...yeah we're doing fine education wise because when it comes to things like knowing where other countries are in the world and knowing history...all that shit is useless for being able to flip burgers in mcdonalds, serving the people who actually create ideas for the USA to use or export and the kids who do need to know that, do know that.

It's probably not as important as it used to be, but I think it's a good indicator of how many more people will be sucking off of our social programs at the tax payers expense.

As others have noted, you can't teach someone who has no interest in learning anything. I think the real problem has to do with culture and not education.

Why would spoiled bitches who went to good schools join the military? All this says is that people with no future attempt to join the military because they can't do anything else. They fail the ASVAB and end up in a gang instead. I have a bachelors and am currently enlisted in the navy. I'm also an IT, not an ABH/ABF/BM/CS, which most of the "dumb people" are.

Last edited:
Back