Opinions

Tatiyana

Veteran X
Some background. I currently work in the public school with children with autism. I love the job, and if I got paid just a little bit more I'd do it for the rest of my career, but alas, it's not enough.

I've been in grad school to become a school psychologist. I begin my internship in September, and I'll graduate May 09. I still have 5 classes to take over the next year along with the 1200 clock hour internship. I will be making triple to quadruple my current salary once I graduate.

Because the internship is unpaid, I've been looking for jobs I can do on the side to supplement my income for the year. I came across a wonderful job. I meet all the requirements. It ties into my graduate program as well as my current position. It pays EXTREMELY well (about what I'll make when I graduate next year). The problem? It requires 2 weeks of travel every month.

My question is, would you put on hold a degree program with 1 year left to get this experience as well as a significant increase in pay? I have no problem with the travel, except that I need to complete the internship clock hours as well as the 5 classes, and can't miss 2 classes every month, or 2 weeks of internship every month. If I put my degree on hold, I feel like I might not return soon enough to finish without having to retake courses. I want to finish, and I'm happy with my career choice. But I feel this might be more rewarding.

What would you do? I know everyone is different, but what is your thinking if you were in my shoes?

get knocked up
experience post partum depression
start drinking heavily
your husband will cheat on you
you will be left fat and decrepit with an ugly baby
move to alabama
wait tables at applebees

amateur whore?

Seriously, no idea. I'd say deliver pizza for an upscale local joint, but I dont know if you have a car.

I'd do the travel job.

Who knows, you might find something else you enjoy. Do that for 5-10 years, then return and take care of autism kids.

Back