Open Source Tribes 1 using V12 engine

yeah okay the tribes 1 mod came out for t2 in like 1 week, its OUT, its been DONE, no one PLAYED it...how is this different?

the difference now is that there is no Dynamix. There are no current plans for the Tribes franchise. So this could be the next step. This could be where this community goes. This could be the game played on OGL, shoutcasted on TSN/WSBN, and bitched at by all those who suck at it. This could be the next big thing.

k k hold on. THE MASTER SERVER IS NOT GOING DOWN. T2 IS NOT DEAD.

If you want t1 and t2, just copy the t1 mod or ask them to fix it up or something.

I think your problem is going to be making it different enough that you don't piss off Sierra, but similar enough to keep Tribes people happy. I mean, you are going to get the people from this board to play, but how do you get Joe Public T2 player to come onboard...there will be no money for advertising, will have to be word of mouth.

Well one thing that is different is Garage Games promises upgrades and updates to the V12 engine, If Dynamix is dead and Sierra looks at T2 as a flop because of all the returns and complaints then it would not be in their best interest to patch/fix the current problems with T2, their money would be spent elsewhere on games that make money for them.

i know the master servers aren't going down. but no patches=no bug/cheat fixes=one gh3y game in a few months.

-Striker- said:
k k hold on. THE MASTER SERVER IS NOT GOING DOWN. T2 IS NOT DEAD.

If you want t1 and t2, just copy the t1 mod or ask them to fix it up or something.

The problem is that the T1 mod is just that. A MOD.

This way, the source code is available, and is going to be maintained by members of the community, so that the existing community gets serviced, not newbies. The reason I loved T1 is that it was NOT newbie friendly. Those that picked it up and stuck it out with the game, those are the guys this v12 version will be made for.

Also:

On the scripting side, things like flag tracking and kill tracking would definitely have to be integrated.

All the popular T1 support scripts. But leave them support, so that players could make whatever kind of GUI they wanted to interface with them.

Well, the main thing that we would want to keep, would be the physics. That's what <u>made</u> T1 gameplay what it was. Graphics, Models, and Maps can all be new.

Capaholic said:
I mean, you are going to get the people from this board to play, but how do you get Joe Public T2 player to come onboard...there will be no money for advertising, will have to be word of mouth.

The point is, this game is going to be built from the ground up for the <i>existing</i> community. Not for "Joe Public T2" player.

Icon and I are doing a tweak MOD for T2. It's a lot like the T1 mod, but it doesn't try to make T2 into T1. It will be released right after the next patch, sorce and all.

It's called the COMP MOD and it's very simple. All we have done so far is just a gameplay tweak/balance of T2.

If you want, you can find the changes here

daerid46 said:
I appreciate the sentiment, but this isn't an advertising thread.

You're welcome to post a new thread about it.

Really, I have your permission to do this? Wow, I feel much better about this now that I have your OK. vgt

Go ahead and try if you think you will liek to create a game, but I don't honestly expect it to get a following, for the simple reasons that it would take like 1.5 years to get done.

By then Tf2, halo, planetside, doom3, castle wolfenstine, maxpayne 2, will all be out

"the source code is available"

er.....NO

In theory this all sounds like a good idea but what your asking is for a lot of people to spend alot of time+work+blood+sweat+tears for "free" sorry but not going to happen :(

Just say it all came together and 1 or 2 years later you end up with a kickass game. GG smiles down from above and deems said game as "good" they will be the puplisher/distrubitor and all the people who were doing this for "free" will want there $$$ and the shit will hit the fan!

consultant said:
In theory this all sounds like a good idea but what your asking is for a lot of people to spend alot of time+work+blood+sweat+tears for "free" sorry but not going to happen :(

Just say it all came together and 1 or 2 years later you end up with a kickass game.

have you been paying attention at all?

where are you posting now? how much do the people who run this site make?

How much do the people who run all the fan sites on this site make?

People do stuff for fun all the time. All the great mods and TCs out there were created for the fun of it.

If you don't understand why someone would do that, then that's too bad for you.

Back