ooh asteroid time for bruce willis

"When it does pass close to us on April 13 2029, the Earth will deflect it and change its orbit. There's a small possibility that if it passes through a particular point in space, the so-called keyhole, ... the Earth's gravity will change things so that when it comes back around again in 2036, it will collide with us." The chance of Apophis passing through the keyhole, a 600-metre patch of space, is 1 in 5,500 based on current information.

yep
not too worried about it

this is just an excuse for America to start building their super laser on the moon that they found blueprints for from the UFO crash at Roswell

remember, we never had this conversation

Apparently there is some sort of plan to throw nukes at any asteroid that is projected to hit earth.

I learned this from my Geology prof who does risk analysis of natural disasters so I tend to believe him, but wouldn't this just fracture the asteroid and gives a whole crap load of asteroid problems?

And did anybody play The Dig. That game fucking rocked.

bane said:
Apparently there is some sort of plan to throw nukes at any asteroid that is projected to hit earth.

I learned this from my Geology prof who does risk analysis of natural disasters so I tend to believe him, but wouldn't this just fracture the asteroid and gives a whole crap load of asteroid problems?

From what I understand a lot of smaller rocks is much better then one big one.

Special---K said:
"When it does pass close to us on April 13 2029, the Earth will deflect it and change its orbit. There's a small possibility that if it passes through a particular point in space, the so-called keyhole, ... the Earth's gravity will change things so that when it comes back around again in 2036, it will collide with us." The chance of Apophis passing through the keyhole, a 600-metre patch of space, is 1 in 5,500 based on current information.

yep
not too worried about it
I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 5,500. Guess what it is.

*sigh* Looks like Apophis is up to his old tricks again. Didn't the replicators take over his ship and crash into his homeworld with the help of SG-1?

bane said:

The best plan NASA has today to deflect asteroids is parking a craft with a couple of tons mass near them for a couple of month and use maneuvering thrusters to keep away from it. Gravity will pull both bodies together and change the course of the asteroid without touching it. Kind of a lame tractor beam. ;)

bane said:
Yes, I did and it did.

Last edited:
i am rly good at guessing

dude, Bew, we signed marquis grissom, it is over now, may as well just ship the trophy up north.

Well if the current trend of Chicago teams winning the World Series holds the Cubs have a 50% chance of winning!

Damascus said:
*sigh* Looks like Apophis is up to his old tricks again. Didn't the replicators take over his ship and crash into his homeworld with the help of SG-1?
Didn't you know? Apophis is GOD! Bow down before your GOD!

And I do think that Nasa has some sort of plan for a booster craft that'd push it off course.

Krius said:
From what I understand a lot of smaller rocks is much better then one big one.
well, a bunch of small rocks will burn up mostly in the atmosphere and cause little damage, while a big one will send up dust clouds that'll block the sun, and well, cause the end of life as we know it.

amazing how insignificant we are, isn't it?

Channel 03 said:
this is just an excuse for America to start building their super laser on the moon that they found blueprints for from the UFO crash at Roswell
You mean the "laser" on the "deathstar" from the alan parsons project?

Back