online stock trading

i plan on going into stocks later on, but i am confused as to what the online brokerages do. do they own the stocks and you buy them from the brokerage, or does the brokerage just make it easier to buy the stock?

tdshiv said:
i plan on going into stocks later on, but i am confused as to what the online brokerages do. do they own the stocks and you buy them from the brokerage, or does the brokerage just make it easier to buy the stock?
A brokerage firm essentially takes your orders and gives them to Wall Street, online simply means that there are no humans that your dealing with (unless you want to). If you go through a normal stock broker, he simply sends in the order for you, while online you do it yourself.

Falconlight said:
A brokerage firm essentially takes your orders and gives them to Wall Street, online simply means that there are no humans that your dealing with (unless you want to). If you go through a normal stock broker, he simply sends in the order for you, while online you do it yourself.

so they are kind of like the people that you know in the business to help you out with your stocks, but you pay them to be the people you know everytime you trade.

tdshiv said:
so they are kind of like the people that you know in the business to help you out with your stocks, but you pay them to be the people you know everytime you trade.
An actual stock broker, as in a person, is yes, suspose to help you. They are suspose to be very knowlageable and able to help you manage your portfolio, tell you whether stocks you would like to buy are solid, or crap. However, not all of them are really as helpful as they should be, so it is best to know as much as you can on your own.

Yeah I have my portfolio with a local firm that is partnered with Fidelity... And they don't do anything.

When Enron tanked and took tens of tens of thousands of my mother's money they just sat around and picked their nose.

fake said:
Yeah I have my portfolio with a local firm that is partnered with Fidelity... And they don't do anything.

When Enron tanked and took tens of tens of thousands of my mother's money they just sat around and picked their nose.

Heh, same sort of situation with my mothers money, different stock though. I'm starting to learn everything I can now, now that I've seen the sort of profits than can be made. There are a lot of simple things that can be done to minimize the risks and make money without any effort.

fake said:
I don't have money to invest in learning how to invest ;P

Ya, its a little weird, but you've gotta have money to make money. Just save up as much as you can, if you've gotta spend it on learning how to make money, then so be it. In the long run, it pays off. However if you do have some questions that you think I can answer (I'm not proclaiming to know that much), you can find me in #dc1 on irc.dynamix.

Back