One reason TV sucks

kfc

Veteran XV
The score is either 0-27 or 1-9. Even one the so called good servers. Why? ppl think that if they are on the good team, why change over. Plus TV sucks at random teams. Its more like random noobs vs. all!

effin pub games suck!

Setting score limits is the best solution. No one gets anything out of a beating while pubbing so the sooner the map changes, the better.

Yeah... I useually flip sides too, unless I've bootstrapped a team up into their winning position (ie, if I'm doing all the work, I stay put). Even in that case, if we're beating the snort outta the other team, I'll change tactics and do something less agressive (like hunt pods).

Yeah... I've been having fun in pubs. The thing is to not take them too seriously. Huge blow-outs can be annoying, but what are ya really gonna do? People need ta learn. There's nothing like having your teeth knocked down your throte to teach you leasons yer not likely ta forget.

BitRaiser said:
Yeah... I useually flip sides too, unless I've bootstrapped a team up into their winning position (ie, if I'm doing all the work, I stay put). Even in that case, if we're beating the snort outta the other team, I'll change tactics and do something less agressive (like hunt pods).

T:V always feels like you're "doing all the work".

Score limits do not fix anything. It just exagerates a diffrent kind of fustration. The kind where you never get to try anything fun on a map because it ends as quickly as it begins.

How about a nice 5 minute game of Dangerous Crossing or a 4 minute game of IceRidge? Remember those?

Fixing the blow outs requires a different strategy.

kfc said:
The score is either 0-27 or 1-9. Even one the so called good servers. Why? ppl think that if they are on the good team, why change over. Plus TV sucks at random teams. Its more like random noobs vs. all!

effin pub games suck!

OFN.
Competition is where it's at.

Hellsfury said:
Score limits do not fix anything. It just exagerates a diffrent kind of fustration. The kind where you never get to try anything fun on a map because it ends as quickly as it begins.

How about a nice 5 minute game of Dangerous Crossing or a 4 minute game of IceRidge? Remember those?

Fixing the blow outs requires a different strategy.

Agreed.

Cap limits put a whole different level of frustration into the mix, and don't leave any time to experiment & to try different approach if what your team is doing isn't working.

5 minutes into a game, and your team is down 5-0, and on the sixth point the other team caps out the map... why even bother trying new stuff, the map is going to be over in 60 seconds. But at 5-0, with 15 minutes left tilll the map cycles you can still adjust and try to make a game of it.

Not to mention the old days of the dominating team simply holding the flag instead of taking the last cap just to let the route continue, and totally demoralize the new players.

Cap limits are fine for comp play, but new players rarely even get time to suit up, explore half the map, and die a couple times before a cap out... doesn't give them much time to learn to be useful or develop any skills.

-Half

jmomandown said:
the easiest way to solve it is have it randomize teams according to scores from previous maps.. thus no longer being random

...then what about new players that join the server? or the first people to join the server? wouldnt work

i think once persistent stats are implemented then fair teams can be made

It boilds down to this: Would you rather be playing during a blowout (with the chance that you could atleast stem the tide) or be looking at a load bar?

It's worthwhile to look at what causes the blowouts. I don't recall many T2 maps that suffered so badly from it.
If a team has a even a single good capper and reasonable defence, it will always blow out a team that has poor defence, even if that team has strong cappers. This happens because the team with weak defence can't hold the flag once they grab it (their base will be infested when the capper gets home) and they don't have the assets to support the offence (invos smashed).
In T1 and 2 this wasn't such a huge factor because the bases themselves put up some defence (auto-turrets).

Of cource, if a team entirely defencive, they ain't gonna win either.

Anyway, I think I'm rambling a bit here. Hopefully there's a point in that mess.
Suggestion: Next time you are witnessing a blowout from either side, take a good look at the dynamics of the fight. Who's where and what's going on. That will tell ya alot more about the situation than arguing on TW ;)

jmomandown said:
the easiest way to solve it is have it randomize teams according to scores from previous maps.. thus no longer being random
Actually, I would suggest only sorting the top scorers based on the total number of players, then randomize the rest. It's a suble difference, but my feeling is that it would provide more interesting games over the cource of several maps.

As for the guy asking what about new players or the first guy in, you would just use standard stuff for entery. He's just talking about team changeup after a map is done.

I've played games where the score is within 1 point and below ten caps total by both sides.

I've played games that are a complete blow out with over 30 caps for just one side.

I've played games where its starts out as a blow out, but one side, give the time it needed, rallys to draw even or even reverse the blow out.

Personally, the matches that end in a blow out stand out the most because they stay in memory out of fustration. However, in those cases, I am still very thankful that the map has no cap limit so that the game plays out and allows me to atleast find enough time to enjoy some small factor of the map.

Randomizing teams by personal scores (not number but the stats) would do wonders for less blow outs. When the dominant LD and capper are on one team then it usually ends in a blowout. If the server could place people based on their performance then the pubs would be a bit more fun.

As for capouts it is a rare instance where a 20-0 lead turns around. Most of the time the halfway decent players on the other team just start whining that caplimits aren't enabled.

Back