One note left out of the ET:TW thread

Total

Veteran X
It was something I just found out today and is probably OFN to everyone else who has already looked into it.

While I am very supportive of any effort to create a new Tribes-ish game, QW:TW can support "up to 32 players online" and that's it. T:V could support 32 players and that was it.

IMHO, anything that limited might not be worth the effort.

It was something I just found out today and is probably OFN to everyone else who has already looked into it.

While I am very supportive of any effort to create a new Tribes-ish game, QW:TW can support "up to 32 players online" and that's it. T:V could support 32 players and that was it.

uhhhh, i would prefer if it wouldnt support anything over 24.

T:V supports about 20 people well. Anything other that is a lag fest.

uhhhh, i would prefer if it wouldnt support anything over 24.
Making a Tribes mod that everybody likes is easy!

It's impossible to make a Tribes mod that everyone will like, but you can make several sub-mods to cater for each group. It would fracture the community the same way every other mod for Tribes/Tribes2 has done in the past, but may as well get it over with from the beginning rather than when the game is dead.

nofix are you playing as "nofixette" or is that some other faggot, because if it is another faggot i will ban them

If you'd read some of the arguements I've gotten into with NoFix, you'd know I'm not a smurf.

The reason I posted this was simply because of lag issues. T2 could operate fine on a 32 player server due to the netcode. I haven't played anything on the Quake engine in quite a few years, but I do remember bcak in Quake arena that the server would start getting glitchy if 20 or more people joined. Hopefully, the Quake engine coders did what Epic never did with Unreal and improved the netcode.

While 20 or less is great for matches, that's a paltry number for Tribes-ish pub play.

The concern really bugs me cuz I am 100% bored with what's out there to play right now. I'm starving for a challenging game with a learning curve and some imgaintion put into it. Industry isfull of infantry games and Spear and Magic Helmet games. Bleh! We need a good Tribes game, but I'd hate to see the time and effort poured into one that died an early death due to server lag.

The core issue (which effects the number of players) - is T1 style or T2 style. That is, more of a melee style or combined arms. There are solutions to this, sadly - the community will destroy itself if solutions even exits. This happened with T2. Just look at teamwarfare T2 CTF forums right now, the 'classic people' are being not surprisingly viscious to - well - just about everyone, including the 'V2 people'. Does this sound a little like stunted adolescence to anyone but me?

This is your future. (or at least there is a very large probability that it will be).

The root of the problem is this. T1 thinks it was promised a T1 with better graphics with T2. I dont know if that is actually true or if it was assumed. It doesnt matter. People believe that - so it has become true. GG/Dynamix - baffoons that they are, didnt get some things right including that. (They did get a great deal right, but they are not shiney pennies on balance). The T1 community, having been betrayed by GG/Dynamix resolved to destroy the T2 community - brilliant. (See the teamwarfare forums as noted above)

I Joined T2 with my team (from UT) to experience combined arms play. I had no experience with T1. T2 was combined arms - so far so good. T2 was also delivered in pieces and barely functional, to part of a community that literally complained about everything from the weapons to vehicles for reasons at the time I didnt understand (or agree with) ... the penny gets duller and duller. A large segment of the community - including me - was eventually satisfied with the nature of the game. Combined arms etc. A very vocal part of the community seemed bent upon taking a game that I was satisfied with and changing it into something (non-combined arms etc - basically T1 with better graphics) that I didnt recognize or much care for. This group didnt seem to be terribly concerned that they were disaffecting thousands by doing this - they still dont.

So what have I learned? The T1 group (see above - it isnt every last T1 person) had better be left alone in a room by themselves. They really dont play well with others in my experience. What would I do if I could? I would give them a goddamn T1 with better graphics - and lock the door behind them.

Of course that not only wouldnt work, it would be doing - more or less - what they did and are doing. Thats stooping.

So what is needed is a divorce - including a division of property. These communities need to separate once and for all. Many of the core T1 group have a valid complaint - whether it involves me or not. Someone should do a complete T1 with better graphics just for them. I'm being honest here. I would have though legends would have done the trick. Maybe not - but do something.

The T2 group - thats me and others who are interested in combined arms with skiing and jetpacks - need to move on and away (lest we be followed and hounded by ... well ... see the teamwarfare forums). Personally, I would be happy with ET:QW. If those assets were modified to include skiing and jetpacks - I dont give a damn about spinfusors, mortars or juggiewugs (sorry) - that would be faster and more fun combined arms. (I'm speculating as the game isnt really released). It wouldnt be 'tribes' - not that I care not having ever been a GG/Dynamix fanbois - but it would be (I suspect) faster combined arms. (The battlefield series is nice but slow).

There is a problem - that I alluded to in a post ... ZOD. I like ZOD. ZOD clearly can do the job (litely modded ET:QW). But if he does, all the ... you know whos ... will follow him to it and ... well ... I would kill myself as they would surely ... see the teamwarfare forums for details of what they would do.

A split is needed. Even GG gave up. If I had more time, I would start a website. Fast combined arms and no pissy arguing from fanbois. Just competition. (There are people that will do that - but they left)

I hope the 'mod' works ... I'm sure it will. But you need to think this through. Who is the audience? This isnt about bashing anyone. But it is clear that the two groups just cant coexist, sadly.

(Post unedited and rambling)

Just go and play T1 or T2C and forget about a "new" Tribes.

I'm off topic for one post.

Assuming you are the Zio from UT (There is a Zio mapper), how do you think the hover boards in UT3 will affect gameplay? Or are they just visual like the player models that 'feigned' skiing in Q3? Just curious.

And again, someone's blaming Dynamix for not recreating a freak accident and instead making the game they failed to deliver the first time.

Pro tip: if you don't know shit about T1, don't talk about it.

Limited, unimpressive netcode will probably kill the mod before it even has 32 players willing to play-test it.

Locally, I don't see an issue, but the multiplayer aspect of getting the netcode to do what everyone seems to think is so simple to do ( what Tribes has done for the last 10 years ) ... should be interesting. I hope I'm invited to the first multiplayer test ...

If you'd read some of the arguements I've gotten into with NoFix, you'd know I'm not a smurf.

The reason I posted this was simply because of lag issues. T2 could operate fine on a 32 player server due to the netcode. I haven't played anything on the Quake engine in quite a few years, but I do remember bcak in Quake arena that the server would start getting glitchy if 20 or more people joined. Hopefully, the Quake engine coders did what Epic never did with Unreal and improved the netcode.

While 20 or less is great for matches, that's a paltry number for Tribes-ish pub play.

The concern really bugs me cuz I am 100% bored with what's out there to play right now. I'm starving for a challenging game with a learning curve and some imgaintion put into it. Industry isfull of infantry games and Spear and Magic Helmet games. Bleh! We need a good Tribes game, but I'd hate to see the time and effort poured into one that died an early death due to server lag.

clearly you are fucking retarded, i wasn't even talking to you

Back