[Oink] Increasing your ratio?

Great White

Veteran X
I have no idea how to increase my ratio on this site. I don't know what it is, but my uploads are absolutely horrible. I have created my own torrent and had a friend join and attempt to download, only to have the torrent move at max 1.5kb/sec for a few seconds before it goes down to 0kb/sec.

I just started keeping my finished downloads as seeds and even then I don't see how it's possible to keep up a solid ratio. On other sites my ratio is easily over 1.0 and I sometimes average 15-20kb/sec uploading to peers, but never from Oink. I want to help out and keep my account, but at this rate there's no way I'll make it up to the levels they want.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
the only thing i have done is just seeding everything i download and keeping my comp on almost all day and its kept me at about a .5 - .6 ratio now

edit: trying to get to power user+ status but its gonna be hard as fuck to upload 10 gigs

Last edited:
dystorsion said:
not only that, but there's no one fucking downloading (the top torrents have only like 1 - 5 fucking leechers)

It's true... the statistics at the bottom of the homepage say there's 265 thousand seeding while only 11 thousand are leeching... Anyone want to try leeching off my Roger Whittaker oldy torrent?

http://oink.me.uk/downloadpk/636273/Roger Whittaker - 24 Golden Songs.torrent

Maybe it will actually show me uploading if a few people connect?

I've read that for oink, limiting your download speeds and downloading parts of popular albums can boost your ratio.

I've been trying to get on this site for sometime, can anyone help me out?

I'm 1:1 @ 100 gigs. I'm not sure what your problem is, likely you're not clever. And second, just upload and seed your shit forever.

I download a lot of music software.

I got a pretty good ratio due to seeding popular apps and discogs. The free leeching period was a big help though :D

The best practice for oink is to download the files directly to your mp3 directory and than leave them seeding until the torrent is removed from the tracker. I have a 2.5 ratio doing it this way with my upload capped at 6k and over 20GB downloaded.

Some times downlaoding a cd you don't necessarly want is a good thing as well. This only works if you have a good pipe and it is a popular torrent. Some of the mainstream shit will get released and will have 5000 snatchs by the end of the week. If you can get on these day 1 you can usually get a 5+ ratio on it by the end of the week.

Also large discogs are great if you have the bandwidth. I grabbed a dave mathewes one that was over a gig and seeded it for almost a month and upped over 15GB to it.

Also, Oink is like a pyramid scheme that's played out. You guys are getting in late where everyone is trying to get their ratio up so the capacity for the site is saturated.

The only way around that is for the oink owers to cut a ton of newbies and strictly limit community size.

Either that will happen or oink will collapse under its own massive weight. I've got a bunch of invites and I'm not giving them out for that reason.

Uncle Silas said:
I'm 1:1 @ 100 gigs. I'm not sure what your problem is, likely you're not clever. And second, just upload and seed your shit forever.

I download a lot of music software.

It says I'm clever... and I'm attempting to upload/seed forever now, but therein lies the problem. I've taken down a bunch of the albums I downloaded. Now that they aren't in the torrent form anymore, how do I become a seeder again without uploading it myself? I don't want to have a duplicate album up there.

all torrent sites are pyrimid schemes in a way. Any one with a ratio over 1.0 is fucking some one else over in the long run.

I'm on 8 differnt sites with a min of 20GB up and a min ratio of 2.5.... i'm fucking a lot of people over :).

xcannon said:
the only thing i have done is just seeding everything i download and keeping my comp on almost all day and its kept me at about a .5 - .6 ratio now

edit: trying to get to power user+ status but its gonna be hard as fuck to upload 10 gigs

i'm doing this....since i joined two weeks ago, have dl'd 10 gigs and uploaded 9.5 and counting...i'm going to let it get up to 1.5 or so (ratio) before I download any more. the key was downloading one of the pitchfork top 100 album torrents then keeping that up for seeding.

bromus oink doesn't rar pack so the mp3 files are all you need to jump back on the torrent. Just go downlaod the .torrent file again and then when utorrent asks you where to put the files point it to the folder you have the files in. It will check the files and start you seeding.

unless you have altered the files in some way that is.

Bromus said:
It says I'm clever... and I'm attempting to upload/seed forever now, but therein lies the problem. I've taken down a bunch of the albums I downloaded. Now that they aren't in the torrent form anymore, how do I become a seeder again without uploading it myself? I don't want to have a duplicate album up there.

If they're still on the site just throw your albums in your download folder, in the same state that they arrived in, and redownload the torrent. It'll consistancy check your file and start you seeding.

If the torrent isn't on oink anymore then just reseed it. Instructions on seeding are on the site.

It's been mentioned but try to seed large discographies and big files. On the free download periods upload a ton of big files and keep your upload wide open.

It took me months and months to get 1:1 but now that I have the ratio I do it's not hard to keep. I can download pretty big files and not worry about it screwing my ratio.

Back