[OFFICIAL] Why your WiFi connection gets lost every minute or so...

BigWinky

Veteran XV
Ok, because I've seen this question posted about 45 thousand times on TW in both the tech and GD forums, I figured I'd post the solution here. If I could get a sticky for this, that would be great.

If you have a wireless router and you seem to be disconnected every minute or so for no apparent reason (ie - absolutely no network activity for about 5 seconds), you need to do the following as soon as you start your computer:

1.) Click START
2.) Click RUN
3.) Type Services.msc
4.) Scroll down until you see an entry named "Wireless Zero Configuration"
5.) Right click this entry and select "stop"

Voila, your connection problem is gone. Unfortunately, this fix must be applied every time you restart your computer. Also, if you ever lose your connection due to your network going down or the like, you will have to start the service again for your computer to re-connect to your home network.

Hope this post is helpful, I know I personally spent about 2 weeks tearing my hair out trying to find a fix when I bought my Linksys Wireless router.

or, you could change the channel on your wifi so that you have it get a conflict with your 2.4 ghz cordless phone?

fatalerror said:
or, you could change the channel on your wifi so that you have it get a conflict with your 2.4 ghz cordless phone?

It has absolutely 100% nothing to do with interference. Its a "feature" of windows xp sp1 and higher that causes your network to search for new connections every 120 seconds or so. During this time, all activity basically ceases, giving the illusion of a disconnect.

Do some research and you'll see hundreds of others have the same issue.

Disable the service and use the services kit that came with your card, the windows built in tools fucking suck.

However, the sp2 tools fucking rock. So do the zero config for network devices.

Yes you can, just not using windows crappy ass manager.
Seriously, get rid of it, it's a huge piece of shit.

Back