[official] the ethanol thread

the euros get all sorts of diesel vehicles we don't get, and they're all better than the gas POSs we get. it's bullshit.

and corn sucks, it's just what gets pushed because of all the corn states

I have a popular mechanics subscription. Remember when you read them that they are NOT politically neutral, they are pretty conservative, and it seeps through all over the place, and sometimes really ruins their articles.

A better solution would be more telecommuting to cut back on the necessity of cars, especially in major metropolitan areas where the average commute is over 10 miles.

Tribal Imperialist said:
I have a popular mechanics subscription. Remember when you read them that they are NOT politically neutral, they are pretty conservative, and it seeps through all over the place, and sometimes really ruins their articles.
maybe it's got something to do with the most effective solution and the "best feeling" solutions not usually being in line with each other

Reno said:
maybe it's got something to do with the most effective solution and the "best feeling" solutions not usually being in line with each other
No, I'm thinking more of a cover article that was devoted to defending the Bush administration's handling of Katrina.

Technology and engineering are neutral, these guys have an agenda

Tribal Imperialist said:
No, I'm thinking more of a cover article that was devoted to defending the Bush administration's handling of Katrina.

Technology and engineering are neutral, these guys have an agenda
and the Katrina fiasco was more the fault of the locals than it was of Bush and his administration

how dare they point that out!

huggy feely bullshit and technology do not mix

Reno, my field is computer science, and there are hardly any conservatives here. Conservative thinking and scientific thinking do not mesh well.

Rejecting fundamental religion in favor of empiricism is not "touchy feely."

well just remember that not all conservatives are part of the religious right. the religious right have basically hijacked the conservative party.

Tribal Imperialist said:
Reno, my field is computer science, and there are hardly any conservatives here. Conservative thinking and scientific thinking do not mesh well.

Rejecting fundamental religion in favor of empiricism is not "touchy feely."
The "religious right" push is nothing more than leftism with homosexuals and terrorists as their target instead of straight white males

The future is in biodiesel. We'd never be able to grow enough crops to produce enough oils from conventional farming methods on land.

Corn can only produce 18 gal/acre
Soybean 48 gal/acre
Peanuts 118 gal/acre
Oil palm 635 gal/acre (can only be grown in southern florida so not viable)
Algae 10,000 - 20,000 gal/acre

Bio-photoreactors are extremely promising because they can be installed close to factories where carbon dioxide emissions are high. Algae required carbon dioxide and and light to grow. Some studies show that bio-photoreacots can absorb up to 50% of the emissions from the air.

"More recent studies using a species of algae that has oil contents of as high as 50% have concluded that as little as 28,000 km² or 0.3 % of the land area of the US could be utilized to produce enough biodiesel to replace all transportation fuel the country currently utilizes. Further encouragement comes from the fact that the land that could be most effective in growing the algae is desert land with high solar irradiation, but lower economic value for other uses and that the algae could utilize farm waste and excess CO2 from factories to help speed the growth of the algae." (http://www.unh.edu/p2/biodiesel/index.html)

Last edited:
this is what the average america road will look like in 20 years

mi51000-mopeds_saigon.jpg

CxD said:
The future is in biodiesel. We'd never be able to grow enough crops to produce enough oils from conventional farming methods on land.

Corn can only produce 18 gal/acre
Soybean 48 gal/acre
Peanuts 118 gal/acre
Oil palm 635 gal/acre (can only be grown in southern florida so not viable)
Algae 10,000 - 20,000 gal/acre

Bio-photoreactors are extremely promising because they can be installed close to factories where carbon dioxide emissions are high. Algae required carbon dioxide and and light to grow. Some studies show that bio-photoreacots can absorb up to 50% of the emissions from the air.

"More recent studies using a species of algae that has oil contents of as high as 50% have concluded that as little as 28,000 km² or 0.3 % of the land area of the US could be utilized to produce enough biodiesel to replace all transportation fuel the country currently utilizes. Further encouragement comes from the fact that the land that could be most effective in growing the algae is desert land with high solar irradiation, but lower economic value for other uses and that the algae could utilize farm waste and excess CO2 from factories to help speed the growth of the algae." (http://www.unh.edu/p2/biodiesel/index.html)

keep in mind, that algae can grow places besides the US. frankly it would be in our interest to use cheap central/south american labor to grow a large portion of this for us and then import it. would beneift their economies a great deal and would cost less for us at the pump.

new mexico would be a likely candidate for this algae growth too. bout time that state had something useful going on.

we run our racecar on e85. the only difference is the code for fuel injection pulse-width and the fact we can run 7psi of boost instead of 2

but it smells like shit. way worse than gasoline

But I love how it didn't stop me from making bank on this corn company this week in the stock market because they're beaking ground on an ethanol facility.

HALLO THAR 16% return in a matter of days. and goodbye suckers who are going to ride this shit till the company goes under.

Ethanol isn't the solution to cut out oil, it's a first step. It doesn't take much to make a gas car run on E85 compared to some of the other viable alternatives. Ethanol is the cheapest and simplest solution to reducing our reliance on oil. Ethanol works well because it works in our current gas distribution system (pipelines, tankers, stations, pumps..etc). It will take awhile to build a new distribution system that can handle the volume of US traffic. It isn't going to change overnight.

My father-in-law is building an ethanol plant right now and he says this is a temporary move for him. Ethanol is a temporary fix, nothing more.

Back