[Official] GoT S5 Thread

Is this the one thing that Rev Night can say he is better at than anyone else?

You give him far too much credit. Now that his rudimentary advanced knowledge has basically run out, he's barely capable of even a minor troll.

Book readers can probably guess what this weeks ep 9 surprise  danny on dragon  but is that enough? Will this be just a simple scene or will they devote 15-20 minutes to it? Blackwater was long, Red wedding was long, Watchers was the entire ep, but there isnt enough good content to be that much of a surprise. I hope they deviate some more   That dragon better melt/kill half the stadium to cause some major shit. Danny flying away on him? Who cares, thats any other ep def not ep 9 

$10 says last weeks final act will be better this this seasons ep 9.

ps

GIF_SHURG_3.0.gif

That's what Qyburn says when the undead Mountain fails to boot up:

"My rudimentary advanced knowledge has basically run out."

Or if Ygritte wore glasses and worked for Microsoft tech support:

"Your rudimentary advanced knowledge has basically run out, John Snow."

They need to have a couple episodes of Danerys and Tyrion just talking shit about the other characters while drinking wine.

Last edited:
It's starting to bug me that all the weapons look like prop pieces from Xena.

The gas torch cut battle axe seen in Mereen is the same gas torch battle axe seen at Hardhome, being wielded by a Thenn. Is there some group going around with a gas torch cutting all the battleaxes heads out like the accent pieces on an Orange County chopper?

The sandsnake weapons and a lot of the other stuff like Brienne's sword look overwrought, when we know by historical record that such crazy folly pieces did not exist, and that weapons were pretty plain.

It's starting to bug me that all the weapons look like prop pieces from Xena.

The gas torch cut battle axe seen in Mereen is the same gas torch battle axe seen at Hardhome, being wielded by a Thenn. Is there some group going around with a gas torch cutting all the battleaxes heads out like the accent pieces on an Orange County chopper?

The sandsnake weapons and a lot of the other stuff like Brienne's sword look overwrought, when we know by historical record that such crazy folly pieces did not exist, and that weapons were pretty plain.

you named two weapons that are used by royalty, brienne's sword is jamie's oathkeeper (valyrian steel, lannister gold etc etc), and the sand snakes are royalty and they're like, what, persian. of course their shit is all gaudy.

the part that bothers me with overwrought weapons is when they get chunky and bulky like they're out of a final fantasy game

the axe thing i dunno, they do have a budget tho, stop being a
nerds1.jpg

Speaking of nerd nitpicking, in the books, Valyrian steel is supposed to be the fictitious equivalent of Damascus Steel. D/S looks very wavy, while normal steel is a straight grey color. The books even describe v/s as very wavy and easy to recognize. Yet in the show, all of the swords look the exact same. Kinda lame and really strange too, considered how much effort goes in to making sure the reader/watcher is aware of it.

"Damascus steel was a type of steel used in Indian and Middle Eastern swordmaking, originally based on wootz steel, a steel developed in South India before the Common Era. These swords are characterized by distinctive patterns of banding and mottling reminiscent of flowing water. Such blades were reputed to be tough, resistant to shattering and capable of being honed to a sharp, resilient edge"

Actual pic 18th century Damascus steel sword
Watered_pattern_on_sword_blade1.Iran.JPG

ya its a minor detail that would have been cool to see
but most people (99%) arent nerdy or history-y enough to know wtf they would be looking at

right, i understand that, but its kinda weird when a character lifts/examines a sword that looks exactly like every other sword and everyones like holy shit thats valyrian steel guyysssss

Ya it's weird to have a 3lb sword with a 2lb soft gold handle.

I think Oathkeeper and Widow's wail made from the Stark blade were described as being Damascus steel like, with a red sheen for Lannister.

You can get a Damascus or folded blade for pretty cheep these days. Someone like Tinker Pearce or Paul Chen might have made them up for next to nothing just to get their name in the credits.

Last edited:
Back