[official]2006 NFL Draft Thread

Doaln said:
The experts seem to disagree. Specifically, I remember them saying that he often watched only the primary receiver and if he was covered, he ran. If he felt any pressure, he ran.

That's the system he played in. Virginia Tech had a single read system for Michael Vick too.

I think Marcus Vick is a decent player and he would have been drafted high if not for the character issues. He's a good passer and has a lot of athletic ability. He'll probably ride a bench for a few years and be out of the league just because he doesn't have the mental makeup to wait for his chance.

He's only around 6'0" right? Couple that with the fact that he plays in a pretty simple system and it's going to take a long time for him to be NFL ready.

Jislan said:
In retrospect, I actually like the Texans' draft. They filled their offensive line needs in the third round with a steal in Eric Winston and one of the hottest OL prospects in Charles Spencer. They would have been better off taking Bush over Mario Williams, but DeMeco Ryans should be a good player. Williams will be a great player. Wali Lundy is one of the most underrated RBs imo.

you may be the only one ;)

houston is on the verge of riots.. i don't know anybody that's remotely happy about this. sports radio shows have practically been texans hatefests for the last few days. people wanted reggie for the excitement and superstar potential. mario will probably be a solid player for a long time, but everybody here has been pumped for reggie ever since we pulled off the miraculous overtime defeat against the 49ers.

They did royally fuckup taking Mario Williams over Bush, but it was a solid draft top to bottom, maybe even a great one.

Jackson, Justice among those who slipped

Every year there are a handful of prospects that endure the painful process of nose-diving on draft weekend. The 2006 NFL draft was no exception. USC quarterback Matt Leinart was the big story early on, falling all the way to the Cardinals at pick No. 10. But he wasn't the only one. The following is a look at 10 other prospects who -- for one reason or another -- suffered agonizing falls on draft weekend, and how they fit on the teams fortunate enough to get them at a great value:

• Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
Patriots, third pick (No. 36 overall), second round
Jackson needs work as a route runner and he occasionally drops catchable passes when attempting to get up the field before securing the ball. However, he has the most upside of any receiver in the 2006 class -- and that includes Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes. Once again, the Patriots found a way to maneuver the board for a tremendous value at a position of need in the wake of David Givens' offseason departure.

• Jimmy Williams, DB, Virginia Tech
Falcons, fourth pick (No. 37 overall), second round
There are legitimate concerns regarding Williams' inconsistent effort and abrasive attitude, but there's no way that a top-10 talent should fall this far with no legitimate off-the-field incidents on his record. Making this an even better pick is the fact that DeAngelo Hall was his teammate and an upperclassman while the two played in the Hokies' secondary. If Hall keeps Williams focused, this will be a steal of a pick for the Falcons.

• Winston Justice, OT, USC
Eagles, sixth pick (No. 39 overall), second round
Teams became increasingly nervous about Justice's off-the-field issues as the draft neared, but he should never have fallen as far as he did. Justice possesses an outstanding combination of size (6-foot-6, 328) and athleticism. He played right tackle in college, protecting southpaw Leinart's blindside, but Justice could probably play on either side of the line in the NFL. If the Eagles can keep him on the straight-and-narrow, while also polishing his technique, Justice could emerge as a future replacement for aging left tackle Tra Thomas.

• Eric Winston, OT, Miami-FL
Texans, second pick (No. 66 overall), third round
Winston slipped because of his 2004 knee injury and a sub-par senior season. It also didn't help his cause that many NFL offensive line coaches believe he lacks the necessary toughness that it takes to hold up on the perimeter. However, if he continues to progress and return to form, the Texans will have their starting left tackle of the future.

Claude Wroten, DT, LSU
Rams, fourth pick (68th overall), third round
Wroten is a one-gap penetrating type defensive tackle with excellent initial quickness and a motor that never quits. In all reality, he was a first-round consideration prior to a January incident. Arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and intent to distribute, Wroten spent several hours in the Ouachita Correctional Center before making bail. A month later, prosecutors decided not to pursue the charges because of a lack of evidence and some questions over the legality of the search. If he can stay out of trouble, Wroten has the potential to develop into a playmaking starter for the Rams.

• Ashton Youboty, DC, Ohio State
Bills, sixth pick (70th overall), third round
Youboty has the natural physical tools of a late first- or early second-round draft pick. He gives away his tendencies and got burned on several occasions as a junior in 2005 (see Minnesota and Texas games). He seemed to lose confidence at times last season and he didn't exude confidence in combine interviews, which is considered essential for an NFL cornerback. It also worked against Youboty that this year's class was loaded with first- and second-round talent at cornerback. Despite his draft-day freefall, Youboty can still develop into a playmaking starting cornerback in the NFL if he gets the proper coaching and regains his confidence. Regardless, this was Buffalo's best pick in a draft otherwise marred by reaching for overvalued talent (see: safety Donte Whitner and DT John McCargo).

• Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
Cardinals, eighth pick (72nd overall), third round
Pope was considered by most as a possible late first-round prospect coming out of college but the pre-draft process did not treat him well. Pope interviewed poorly at the combine and there are reports that his work ethic is in question. However, if Pope can become a harder worker, fill out his frame and become a more physical blocker, he certainly shows enough potential to emerge as an impact short-to-intermediate receiver. Leinart will need a security blanket early in his career, so it will be important for Pope to establish a rapport with fellow rookie, quarterback Matt Leinart.

• Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan
Cardinals, 10th pick (107th overall), fourth round
At 6-foot-3½, 339 pounds, Watson is a massive nose tackle prospect with impressive agility for his size. He possesses the physical tools of a first-round prospect, very similar to Oregon's Haloti Ngata, who was selected 12th overall by the Ravens. Unfortunately, Watson takes too many plays off and he lacks playmaking instincts. There are also concerns that Watson is "soft" and doesn't show enough toughness to handle the rigors of the NFL. He failed to meet expectations in college, and Michigan coach Lloyd Carr benched him for four games as a senior in 2005. With all that in mind, though, the Cardinals got Watson for a great value in the fourth round. If defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast can light a fire under him, Watson could become one of the biggest steals from the 2006 draft class.

• A.J. Nicholson, OLB, Florida State
Bengals, 25th pick (157th overall), fifth round
This nosedive was expected. Nicholson lacks ideal speed but he is a versatile playmaker with outstanding quickness, aggressiveness and tackling skills in run support, as well as instincts, fluidity and ball skills in coverage. He started all 12 regular season games as a senior in 2005, when he led FSU with 100 tackles and also finished with 10 tackles for loss, including one sack with two interceptions. But Nicholson comes with two tons of baggage. He was charged with two separate alcohol-related offenses within a one-year span leading up to his senior season in 2005, and suspended by the team for the 2005-'06 Orange Bowl after an off-the-field incident. Add durability issues (torn right MCL in May of 2003) to the mix and it's no wonder why this ultra-productive former Seminole saw 156 other prospects get selected ahead of him in the 2006 draft. If anyone can get Nicholson back on track it is Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, but even Lewis has his hands full with Nicholson.

• Rodrique Wright, DT, Texas
Dolphins, 18th pick (226 overall), seventh round
The biggest knock on Wright is that he's soft. Some NFL coaches that worked him out and/or interviewed him worry that he lacks the toughness to excel in the NFL. Poor technique and inconsistent effort also hurt Wright's draft stock. Even with all that in mind, Wright has entirely too much natural talent to slip as far as he did on draft weekend. After all, he notched 227 total tackles, 42 tackles for loss and 17½ sacks during his four-year career at Texas.

I don't have a problem with the Texans decisions this draft. I think Bush has as good shot of being oft-injured as he does being the next Sayers. That said, maybe Mario Williams is the next Mike Mamula. There are no sure things, that's what makes all the hoopla and hype surrounding the draft stupid.

It seems like they have a plan at least, even if its the wrong or unpopular one.

While the first pick of the Texans was questionable, they addressed the key needs in a very strong fashion.

They got two good offensive lineman, a very good linebacker and a great defensive lineman.

While I am sure that Carr would have loved to have Bush around, getting Bush without getting line help would have gotten them nowhere (other than some ticket sales).

he is already a hollow shell of what he once looked like from 200 sacks. That years 1st round QB class is bustacular.

I'm happy about the Texans draft. I grew up watching the House of Pain playing and it pained me to see such a horrible defense the last few years. I don't really agree taking Mario number 1, I would rather have traded down and picked him (or Furgeson), but either the Texans were asking too much or there were no real suitors to trade up. I like Williams though.

I just don't see how a guy with a questionable motor and who didn't have the numbers or performance level in college (even with a great defense around him) is going to be a Reggie White or a Julius Peppers.

Those guys had the drive and the competitive fire to be great, in addition to all of the physical tools.

If he is a Javon Kearse type of player is he still the best player in the draft?

Charles Spencer will probably end up being prettty good. He only played two years on the offensive side of the ball at Pitt and was only lineman on pitt worth a damn last year. He should be pretty good.

I'm not sold on mario williams though. If you aren't going to draft bush, why not draft ferguson?

EDIT: I just saw that the stillers drafted omar jacobs. looks like hes gonna be big bens backup for the next few years. intriguing pick

Last edited:
i really like the chad jackson pick by the patriots. i really liked this guy but just couldnt believe the pats would take him.

Average Draft Grades

I averaged out the grades of each team by the major draft sites (that have grades up) along with my own swing grades. If the teams share the same letter grade, but their rank is different, it means their rank (assigned on a 4.0 scale) were a little bit different, but not enough to change the actual letter grade.

Code:
Rank	Team	    Avg Grade
1	Arizona	        A
2	Cleveland	A-
2	San Francisco	A-
4	New York Jets	B+
4	Green Bay	B+
6	Philadelphia	B
7	Baltimore	B
8	New England	B
8	Houston	        B
10	Pittsburgh	B-
10	St. Louis	B-
10	Carolina	B-
13	New Orleans	B-
13	Detroit	        B-
13	Oakland	        B-
16	Buffalo	        B-
16	Seattle	        B-
18	Denver	        C+
18	Jacksonville	C+
18	Miami	        C+
21	Tampa Bay	C+
21	Dallas	        C+
21	Tennessee	C+
24	New York Giants	C+
24	Atlanta	        C+
26	San Diego	C
27	Cincinnati	C
28	Chicago	        C
29	Minnesota	C-
30	Kansas City	C-
31	Indianapolis	D+
32	Washington	D

alright, I think it's time to declare the draft thread completed. We'll do it again next year ;)

Back