Oblivion Newbie Help

Blitzkrieg

Veteran XV
Ok, I just got the game a few days ago on steam as it was on sale. I know it's an old game but I'm fairly lost. Is there any friendly TW newbie guide for oblivion?

I have some questions. I want to build a character that will be able to handle monsters + quests and not too difficult to play.

1. How do I make money easily?

2. Is it a good idea to level up some skills while in the tutorial dungeon? I leveled up heavy armor to expert, block, conjure, restore, to apprentice, light armor to journeyman. Did I screw my character over?

3. What major skills should I pick? My char's 7 major skills are: armour, destruction, illusion, blade, light armor, mysticism, sneak.

thanks

What skills you tag depends on what kind of character you want to play. Tag the skills that you know you will use the most so your level increases fastest. If you are a thief, choose sneak, light armor, archery, one handed etc. You can figure it out.

Best way to make money is to pick up expensive things and sell them. Having a weight to value ratio is good. Potions, Scrolls, Daggers, rare magic items are a good bet to hold onto. Throw the rest away. Just run to your nearest dungeon and start killing everything.

What skills you tag depends on what kind of character you want to play. Tag the skills that you know you will use the most so your level increases fastest. If you are a thief, choose sneak, light armor, archery, one handed etc. You can figure it out.

Best way to make money is to pick up expensive things and sell them. Having a weight to value ratio is good. Potions, Scrolls, Daggers, rare magic items are a good bet to hold onto. Throw the rest away. Just run to your nearest dungeon and start killing everything.

I was reading various wiki and guides. I don't want to level up too fast so monster become too difficult. That's why I chose a mix of skills but it's mostly combat oriented. My race is breton for its magic resistance and I used a custom class.

I just handed the amulet to the blades grandmaster. I guess I can head back east to the sewer area again and do some dungeon diving. I can't carry a lot so I need to level up my strength or figure out how to do feather spell or something.

I'd recommending modding out the default leveling. If you want to max out stats with the default leveling scheme you'll actually be better off making skills you won't use the major skills, so you can control when you level and how much of a bonus you'll get.

Plus leveling fast will just make the game harder for no reason, since everything levels up along with you.

I'd recommending modding out the default leveling. If you want to max out stats with the default leveling scheme you'll actually be better off making skills you won't use the major skills, so you can control when you level and how much of a bonus you'll get.

Plus leveling fast will just make the game harder for no reason, since everything levels up along with you.

How do I mod out default leveling scheme? I bought the steam oblivion package, containing oblivion and a bunch of DLC.

I was about to bitch you out for not posting this in the Skyrim thread

took me a minute to realize you were talking about Oblivion

carry on

Francesco's or Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul were the primary options. There are probably more or better stuff out there by now. The files section of The Elder Scrolls Nexus probably have mods to do just about anything you'd want.

Thanks, I will take a look later. There are so many files.

I am reading some TW old thread, is alchemy the best and easiest way to make money for beginners like me?

[OBLIVION] <-- isn't that out yet?? [Flat] - Page 53 - TribalWar Forums

Seraph said:
Also, the best way to make money is to take up Alchemy, just like in Morrowind.

You buy food for 1-3 gold a piece, take two and turn them in to a potion of restore fatigue. Then you just sell the potion for about x10 its original cost. Not to mention that all the ingredients can be found in the world for free (raid the dinner tables). I think that food (bread, meat, vegetables, ect.) is the best to level alchemy with because it's everywhere and costs almost nothing.

I was about to bitch you out for not posting this in the Skyrim thread

took me a minute to realize you were talking about Oblivion

carry on

Nah, never got into morrowwind/oblivion stuff. I saw this on steam on sale and the skyrim thread, decided to give old oblivion a try.

I haven't been in new PC games for quite a few years. I have not purchased any gaming desktop/laptop for many years. That limits me to older games or just web based games for quite a while. My older system was below Civ5 minimum spec. My new system can finally play civ5 in high detail without crashing but it's still not a gaming laptop (new laptop is quad core i7 and Radeon HD 6770M GPU + 12 GB RAM)

Oblivion's alright, but odds are you won't finish it.. I know few people who have

have you tried playing Fallout 3 or New Vegas? They should run just fine on low graphics on your rig and they're much better games

Oblivion's alright, but odds are you won't finish it.. I know few people who have

have you tried playing Fallout 3 or New Vegas? They should run just fine on low graphics on your rig and they're much better games

Oblivion is already driving me nuts with the slow traveling speed so I doubt I will finish it anytime soon. Chances are I will never finish it is pretty good.

I can't afford to spend hours on games so I bought oblivion and magicka recently to play by myself and with fellow [POE].

If Fallout3 or New Vegas is cheap enough, I might buy it. my new rig has only 250GB HDD so I can't fit that much on it :( HDD price is insane lately.

"only" 250GB?

jesus what the fuck are you putting on there

stop hoarding every single file on the internet and you might have room for more games

"only" 250GB?

jesus what the fuck are you putting on there

stop hoarding every single file on the internet and you might have room for more games

Visual Studio 2010, some vacation video files I plan to edit, settlers 7, civ5, portal, and some other games.

I wish I can hoard all those files on the internet.... :(

all those games are like 50gb total, probably less

so unless visual studio 2010 and some vacation videos are taking up 200gb, you're hoarding something

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul (OOO) - Planet Elder Scrolls

The game is unequivocally broken without significant mod help. With the right mods it can be fantastic. Still I'd recommend Morrowind a thousand times over it. There are graphical updates that make it look almost as good as Oblivion anyway..

Try this: FCOM: Convergence

It's a megamod combining all the big mods. If you want OOO alone there's a link to it.

Which one's better, OOO or FCOM?

Also, any good merchant mod? I don't really want to work very hard for money, it's a game, not work. I prefer a higher selling price to merchant and lower buying price from merchant. I just got robbed by someone in chorro for buying 3 repair hammers, almost my entire gold is gone! argh!

Is it easy to setup your own shop? I just like to enjoy the game more, rather than "work" for $$$.

Back