[NWS][Photoshoot] The Ultimate Philly Cheesesteak Taste Test

Not to Hijack... but incase anyone is interested...

I live just outside of Philly and have eaten at Pat's several times, and Geno's a million times. If you ever travel to Philly I definitely recommend you stop there. Its the only thing worth visiting in the shithole that is Philly(try not get murdered while you are there.)

As for the steaks... I feel they are identical. I know for a fact that they use the same rolls(Amoroso). One day I actually waited in line for both, and compared the two. The meat looks identical(and tasted identical imo). The only difference I really noticed was that Pat's seemed to have put a little more cheese on it. So like I said, they looked and tasted identical to me. I actually heard a story that the owner of Geno's worked at Pat's and opened Geno's after learning how they made the steak. If the story is true, it further points you in the direction that they taste the same.

But when I go to get a Cheesestake, I ALWAYS go to Geno's, and here are the reasons why...

1.) If cleanliness is an issue, you should go to Geno's. I am not saying Pat's is dirty, but its really obvious that Geno's cares more about cleanliness.
2.) Lighting. Pat's use to use yellow lightbulbs but changed to white ones not too long ago. I hate yellow light. On top of that, Geno's is just much more well lit, and of course their famous Neon sign.
3.) At 4am you literally could be standing in a 45 minute line to get a cheesestake. Its crazy. With Geno's the walls/ceilings/tables are covered with pictures of celebrities that have visited the place. So at least you have something to look at while you wait.
4.) Cheese fries. Geno makes some awesome fries. Far far better than Pat's.

Rich people on the west coast have literally sent private jets to Philly just to pick some of these up and fly them back. So like I said, its worth stopping at if you are in the area.

There is a constant debate in Philly who makes the best cheesestake. There are even other places that are considered better than Pat's/Geno's. But in Philly most people pick one of the these two. Most people religiously eat at one or the other. But like I said, about 5 of my friends and I tried both and we felt there was no difference. I just go to Geno's for the reasons I listed above. For all the Geno's or Pat's fanboys out there, most of them probably havent even tried both. They were just raised to love one or the other.

ive never even had a cheesesteak before

Anyone in Pennsylvania would find that VERY hard to believe, but its actually true. In many states across the country, you cant find a place that even serves a cheesesteak. And when they do, they never do it right.

I thought the cheeseballs was a nice touch.

Or is that cheeseball.

That's it. I'm calling you cheeseball from now on. :D

Nice writeup MadHookup. I do believe people have sent leer jets to PHL to get cheese steaks and fly them back. Elvis once sent a jet from Graceland to Atlanta to pick up some grub food at The Varsity and I believe it. I tried to find links to verify the story, didn't find any, but I did hear the story so I know it's true.

There are differences between the buns each place uses.
Pat's has corn meal on the bottom like a pizza.
http://www.nogodforme.com/images2009/Poconos0111091mp013.jpg
Geno's has flour and has a sweeter taste.
http://www.nogodforme.com/images2009/Poconos0111091mp029.jpg

Pats - Cheese on top, meat chopped up.
Geno's - Cheese on bun, meat not chopped up.

My web site with pictures is here.
Camelback 2009

I had Pat's twice, and Geno's once, they're both great. I'd have to visit a few more times to pick a real winner. I got off the plane and had Pat's to start like you see in the picture above, it was amazing, especially when they put a ton of cheese on it. Then I ate the Geno's steak in the hotel room and noticed the bun had a sweet taste to it, which was different. So it's hard to say which one I'd choose over the long run.

Last edited:
Not to Hijack... but incase anyone is interested...

I live just outside of Philly and have eaten at Pat's several times, and Geno's a million times. If you ever travel to Philly I definitely recommend you stop there. Its the only thing worth visiting in the shithole that is Philly(try not get murdered while you are there.)

As for the steaks... I feel they are identical. I know for a fact that they use the same rolls(Amoroso). One day I actually waited in line for both, and compared the two. The meat looks identical(and tasted identical imo). The only difference I really noticed was that Pat's seemed to have put a little more cheese on it. So like I said, they looked and tasted identical to me. I actually heard a story that the owner of Geno's worked at Pat's and opened Geno's after learning how they made the steak. If the story is true, it further points you in the direction that they taste the same.

But when I go to get a Cheesestake, I ALWAYS go to Geno's, and here are the reasons why...

1.) If cleanliness is an issue, you should go to Geno's. I am not saying Pat's is dirty, but its really obvious that Geno's cares more about cleanliness.
2.) Lighting. Pat's use to use yellow lightbulbs but changed to white ones not too long ago. I hate yellow light. On top of that, Geno's is just much more well lit, and of course their famous Neon sign.
3.) At 4am you literally could be standing in a 45 minute line to get a cheesestake. Its crazy. With Geno's the walls/ceilings/tables are covered with pictures of celebrities that have visited the place. So at least you have something to look at while you wait.
4.) Cheese fries. Geno makes some awesome fries. Far far better than Pat's.

Rich people on the west coast have literally sent private jets to Philly just to pick some of these up and fly them back. So like I said, its worth stopping at if you are in the area.

There is a constant debate in Philly who makes the best cheesestake. There are even other places that are considered better than Pat's/Geno's. But in Philly most people pick one of the these two. Most people religiously eat at one or the other. But like I said, about 5 of my friends and I tried both and we felt there was no difference. I just go to Geno's for the reasons I listed above. For all the Geno's or Pat's fanboys out there, most of them probably havent even tried both. They were just raised to love one or the other.

cool story, bro

When we did our taste test, it was like 6-7 years ago. The Pats one looks much different from the last time I had it. I could have sworn that I read that they both use Amoroso rolls.

When we did our taste test, it was like 6-7 years ago. The Pats one looks much different from the last time I had it. I could have sworn that I read that they both use Amoroso rolls.

20090310-fue4arsbcqnqj5q9327sc2gd46.jpg

Back