North Korea may strike U.S. forces pre-emptively

Awesome post Blitzkrieg. I really respect people who have opinions like yours, that have experienced the world and know different languages. Unfortunately for me I know only English, so my exposure isn't nearly what I want it to be.

I think another interesting twist to this, is the anti-US sentiment in SK. So, a lot of South Koreans want the US out, but now NK has reminded them of their problem. However, just because NK has threatened "first strikes" doesn't necessarily mean first strikes against South Korea. They could just strike at American military installations and their carrier.

I'm pretty sure that most koreans hate living in a divided Korea and would welcome unity between the countries. I think if there's one dictator that needs to go in the world it's North Korea's.

WTF is rumsfeld doing having a press conference and calling north korea a "terrorist regime", maybe he should let the professional diplomats do their job instead of running off his mouth. You'd have thought he would have learned after the "France and Germany are irrelevent" speech. :rolleyes:

Goddamn it people don't understand. The North cannot win a war with the South. It will not happen... ever. The threat the North provides which they're using to rattle some more concessions out of the US is that a) they can produce nuclear weapons and sell them to bad people and b) Seoul is within their artillery range. Seoul is a city of ~13 million people. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that that'd be their first target in any war... and they wouldn't even have to cross the DMZ to attack it.

"North Korea said in December that it was reactivating its facilities to generate badly needed electricity. But U.S. officials say the amount of electricity that can be produced in the Yongbyon facilities is negligible."

... .

Well, they can go ahead and do that...and feel the rest of the world come down on them in a furious war. Theyd be much smarter to let the US make the first move, that way they can have all this Anti-War protest to their advantage.

I disagree 100%. if they manage to conquer the south quick enough they are in an excellent position. Nothing short of a naval invasion will hurt them really. (you dont think china would "help" the US, do you?)

HSAlien said:
"North Korea said in December that it was reactivating its facilities to generate badly needed electricity. But U.S. officials say the amount of electricity that can be produced in the Yongbyon facilities is negligible."
The Yongbyon facilities produce ~5 megawatts of electricity... which, when you compare it to the electrical supply/demand of North Korea is negligable.

Aly said:
I disagree 100%. if they manage to conquer the south quick enough they are in an excellent position. Nothing short of a naval invasion will hurt them really. (you dont think china would "help" the US, do you?)
China would be forced by international pressure to either take part in, or support an effort to liberate the South Koreans. Not to mention that this "quick" invasion would have to cross heavy equipment over the most heavily mined boarder in the world. And through thousands of US troops.

Yeah, that's why it's sort of laughable that they are starting it up under the, albeit thin, veil of "for energy purposes"

"N Korea is believed to have a limited number of Taepodong-x ICBMs (long range - America) hidden in underground tunnels. "

Anybody have a link to something (preferably relatively credible) that outlines the range of their missiles?

Nice that their medium range missiles are called "nodongs"

Chaol said:
Hmm, it's been implied that we will be attacked by a seemingly belligerent, violent nation. I say we sit here and wait for it to happen.
Not to worry; we'll just hug them into submission ...

Aly said:

Yes. China would help.

HSAlien said:
"N Korea is believed to have a limited number of Taepodong-x ICBMs (long range - America) hidden in underground tunnels. "

I won't believe that they're hiding those missiles underground until I see some undoctored satellite photographs. :ftard:

ZooL said:
that would esentially be the most stupidedededeest thing they could do, i think they really want to get nuked by us, cause right now we are pretty pissed off and i thing we will use tac nukes if these pebble nations push us any further.

Its like the hyenas testin lions or then the lion suprises them in turn, then no more hyena.

watch lion king lately? :sigh:

|vm| said:
it's sort of good for the US though, instead of getting coverage on their domestic issues, all the media talks about is wars. nice plan Bush.

we had a protest against the war here a few weeks ago, the "slogan" was "Ferme ta Bush!".... Bouche (Bush) means "mouth" in french, and Ferma Ta means Shut Your...

Sorry, but that's just lame.

Interesting...China helps USA?

Since when did China start to dance to USA tunes?

"There is no eternal friend. There is only eternal interest". I forgot which British or French noble said that phrase but it suits many world diplomacy just fine.

China "helps" USA when it's in their interest.

Who helped Korea when Toyotomi Hideyoshi of Japan invaded Korea?

Who helped North Korea when McArthur was about to cross the Yalu river?

I wish the world is as simple as you make it out to be. Put it this way, if Russia is invading Mexico, would you help Russia or Mexico? Don't give me the rebuttle saying they're different, the point is, Korea is next to China, how would you view it if you are in China's shoes?

A lot of Koreans are quite proud. They don't like Chinese. They definitely don't like Japanese. They certainly don't care much for USA now either, given our military personnel has committed some crime over there, similar to incidents in Okinawa. In both of those cases, local protests erupted and caused the states department problems.

I am torn between pulling out of south korea or not. On one hand, having those troops and base there give us a presence in Asia, checking China's expansion, give us influence. On the other hand, can we really stop the Chinese expansion, after all, it's in their backyard and it's much easier for them to influence it than we do.

If it's not world prestige and influence at stake, I will vote in favor of completely pull out from south korea. Why bother with it. However, given our hedgemony, our economy benefit from it as well. So, it's not a complete waste. It's just I don't think it's practical to try to stunt China's growth and expansion. It is natural. It is just like the British tried to contain USA, then tried to take control over decision making during WWII but eventually concede to let USA have more of a saying.

Those of us who fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. I really enjoy history, I've read many civilization/country/region's history in different historical period. I don't profess I understand a nation's psyche, but given the history I've read, I can understand more where they are coming from. Sometimes, I think Americans don't know what we have and treasure it. If we keep it at this rate, we will decline, just like the Greeks, Romans, Mongols, Chinese, Egyptians, Assyrian, Babylonian, Sumarian, Indian, and many more that I've read. What the USA needs to do is really focus more on our economic problem. We can no longer afford to project our power at will, not given our current economic state. We will be doomed to repeat the British example. At one point, the sun never sets in the British empire. What happened then? What happened to the Mongolian empire?

I am partial towards Bush likes to finish his father's job by taking care of Iraq. I'm also inclined to believe Bush dosn't know what he's doing with the economy and use war as a great detractor for the population so they will not question Bush about his ties with Enron (how many Enron executives are indicted, how many worldcom?), not to mention his policy of favoring special interest groups.

Blitzkrieg said:
Who helped North Korea when McArthur was about to cross the Yalu river?

This is precisely why they'd help.

North Korea is a monster created by China. The Chinese aren't gonna sit by and lose face while a problem that THEY ALLOWED TO EXIST runs wild over one of their primary trading partners and threatens the rest of the world with nukes.

North Koreas Leader is getting old and from news reports he is a cruel motherfucker I wouldnt be surprised if he just decides to go out with a bang and attack.

Back