Nintendo boss dead from xbox assassins

Goshin

GriftKing
Veteran XX
Inside Nintendo's Plan to Conquer Mobile Gaming
It’s not hard to see why Nintendo is reversing course now. Research firm Gartner reported global smartphone and tablet sales of over 1.4 billion units in 2014. By contrast, the two best-selling video-game systems of all time—Sony’s PlayStation 2 console and Nintendo’s DS handheld—each took nearly a decade to sell 150 million units. Meanwhile, smartphone gamemakers like King (Candy Crush) and Rovio (Angry Birds) are now worth billions. And mobile knockoffs of 1980s classics have turned into overnight hits (see: Crossy Road and Flappy Bird), while Mario, Luigi and friends have not yet been found on a phone.

Why now? “In the digital world, content has the tendency to lose value, especially on smart devices,” Iwata tells TIME exclusively. “We finally found solutions to the problem. We will not merely port games developed for our dedicated systems to smart devices just as they are—we will develop brand new software which perfectly matches the play style and control mechanisms of smart devices.” The ultimate goal: to drive tablet and phone users to Nintendo’s hardware such that they “eventually become fans of our dedicated systems.”

they hated his vision

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/12/8940067/satoru-iwata-nintendo-dies
Nintendo has announced that its president and CEO, Satoru Iwata, died on Saturday. He was 55, and the cause of death was stated as a bile duct growth. Iwata took some time off for health reasons last year and had had surgery to remove a tumor, returning later in the year.

He was a great dude. When Nintendo wasnt doing well, he took a pay cut. Many CEOs would never do that. He said something like on his business card it says he's ceo, but really he's a game developer and in his heart he's a gamer.

bowzer1-1.jpg

Wow, this genuinely kicks me square in the feels. Iwata's no Miyamoto, but so many of the games he's directly been involved with made a huge impact on my life.

ntv76z1.png

Iwata gave us Super Mario Maker so we could make our own games as he did.

I-I understand now, Iwata. I understand...

He was a great dude. When Nintendo wasnt doing well, he took a pay cut. Many CEOs would never do that. He said something like on his business card it says he's ceo, but really he's a game developer and in his heart he's a gamer.

That's a Japanese thing. The man could have been the biggest asshole in the world and felt pressured to announce a pay cut.

iwata seemed cool

it'll be interesting to see how much difference a new CEO makes, since clearly their executive decisions have been increasingly poor in the last 5 years or so

I don't really see how the console market will hold on much longer aside from traditionalist attitudes. The average consumer replaces their phone every 18 months, and the cost of the device is subsidized by their carrier plan. Consoles have a longer turnover, cost more in hardware that is already outdated to try to keep costs reasonable, and subsidize them using game sales. Whereas anyone can program a game for a phone for a massive casual audience on the cheap, a console game now has to pull out all the stops to try to sell a ton of expensive copies to a smaller market. It's much more like Hollywood now, everything banked on the most likely success, no innovation, and everything produced by a handful of studios.

Consoles will just change, and I can see why Nintendo would have a better chance in that realm since they are pretty aggressive in trying out unconventional hardware ideas. Nintendo is the most future-proof hardware makers out there right now. For example, even if you casually play handheld stuff and you have a powerful phone, it's always going to be a better experience to play something on a DS.

A big part of Nintendo warming up to mobile now is because Sega has made a ton of money licencing their old games. When Nintendo enters mobile, I really don't expect it to be anything beyond having their old games for high prices.

nintendo has just dipped their toes in the water with converted ports, with only a handful of gba/ds conversions on wii u vc (done by sega). up to this point they have been extremely picky about ports, far more so than any other developer (sega and capcom have been putting their entire back catalog on every imaginable platform for like 20 years now).

basically nintendo isn't having it unless it's the exact original code running on a custom emulator with identical control mechanisms (i.e. d-pad/buttons). it's probably some kind of brand identity thing.

point is i'd be surprised if they put old games on phones anytime soon, unless they lock them to some kind of hardware accessory. think about it - if they were that interested in the easy buck, why haven't any of their games come out on pc/steam?

Nintendo is the most Japanese of gaming companies. I think there is a culture where they would see it as a defeat to have a Nintendo game on a smartphone. So they see the virtual shop with their overpriced ports as a compromise because you have to use their hardware anyway.

Capcom is the most American Japanese company because they cash in wherever they can. How many different releases of Resident Evil 2 were there? Even in interviews and stuff they are very bunt about their reasons for ports and what not, money. A while ago when PC gaming sales were really picking up steam Capcom said their have been significant increases in their PC sales so they would begin to devote themselves to seeing their games have PC ports. That simple.

And look at Nintendo, sheepishly saying they would publish to smart devices, but with specialized controls ect, for the purpose of driving consumers to their own proprietary hardware. And this all comes a 5 years after they should have been exploring this possibility. So fucking Japanese of them.

Only way ill play games on a smart phone is with some sort of custom controller/case, using touch screen is obnoxious.

Mobile games are for people who are bored to shit. Given other choices of things to do, no one plays f'ing angry birds. They are pure time killers.

Back