[NFL]Shanahan to Skins[NFL]

ferret

Veteran XX
Not sure I agree with this decision; he gets run out of Denver for making poor personnel moves and they give him the run on personnel decisions...hopefully he's smart enough to stay on the practice field and work on the x's and o's...

Outside of Cowher probably the best hire they could have made (just w/o the executive powers)

After an afternoon of negotiations produced an agreement, Mike Shanahan signed a five-year contract to become head coach and executive vice president of football operations for the Washington Redskins.

Under the terms of the new deal, Shanahan will team with Redskins executive vice president and general manager Bruce Allen, but Shanahan will have the ultimate authority on football decisions. Shanahan will be introduced as the Redskins head coach at a 2 p.m. ET news conference Wednesday.

As the contract was being signed at the Redskins' training complex, Shanahan and owner Dan Snyder posed together for a picture. Then, with the deal signed, Shanahan, his agent Sandy Montag, Allen and Snyder headed out for a celebration dinner in Washington, D.C.

The contract is worth approximately $7 million a year, the Denver Post reported on its Web site. Now that Shanahan has been hired elsewhere, the Denver Broncos, who fired Shanahan one year ago, will recoup $7 million in offset money over the next two seasons under the terms of the agreement they had with the coach.
The Redskins' intense courtship of Shanahan began shortly after Jim Zorn was fired on Monday morning. Zorn was dismissed during a meeting in his office with Allen after the team's cross-country flight following a 23-20 loss to the San Diego Chargers on Sunday. The Redskins finished 4-12.

Allen had interviewed Shanahan via phone Monday morning, a source close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The Redskins and Shanahan reportedly began talks last month, a day after Allen was hired.

Shanahan won two Super Bowls in 14 seasons with the Broncos. He was fired a year ago after Denver missed the playoffs for the third straight season.

One of Shanahan's first orders of business will be assembling a coaching staff, but first he will interview Washington's assistant coaches to see which ones he would like to retain. Once those coaches are interviewed, Shanahan will launch his search for the best and brightest.

Shanahan's son, former Houston Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, will be the Redskins new offensive coordinator.

Zorn was 12-20 over two seasons and lost 18 of his last 24 games after a 6-2 start in 2008. The Redskins struggled early this season despite a weak schedule and finished with their worst record since 1994.

"The status quo has to end," Allen said. "We have to change the way we've been doing some business. ... Last place two years in a row is not Redskins football."

Zorn's replacement will be Washington's seventh coach since Snyder bought the team in 1999. The Redskins are 82-99 on his watch, missing the playoffs in eight of 11 seasons.

"No one in the organization is satisfied with our record over the last two years," Snyder said in a statement released by the team, "and I am sure that Jim would concur with that statement. It has been painful for him, too. I certainly accept responsibility for mistakes that I have made."

Zorn's dismissal had been expected for months. The front office stripped him of his play-calling duties in late October, and Snyder interviewed assistant coach Jerry Gray for the job weeks ago, according to the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which monitors minority hiring in the NFL.

Shanahan made the playoffs in half of his 14 seasons in Denver, although he had only two losing seasons -- 6-10 in 1999 and 7-9 in 2007. His greatest successes came early, with back-to-back Super Bowl titles after the 1997 and 1998 seasons with running back Terrell Davis and quarterback John Elway.

His career regular-season record is 146-98, including 138-86 with the Broncos from 1995 to 2008 and 8-12 with the Los Angeles Raiders in 1988-89. Shanahan's playoff record is 8-5.

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I think it's fine as long as they delegate well and get enough people involved that wearing both hats isn't too much to oversee. I never thought Shannahan's coaching was hurt by him having GM responsibilities here, just think he made poor choices. But, I think it helps him coach a lot having that control and the players knowing it and being able to get exactly what he wants instead of trying to win with someone else's team.

Should be better than what they've had. Compared to the ridiculous situation they had this year, with bringing someone in that had authority to call plays over the coach's head?

I think it's fine as long as they delegate well and get enough people involved that wearing both hats isn't too much to oversee. I never thought Shannahan's coaching was hurt by him having GM responsibilities here, just think he made poor choices. But, I think it helps him coach a lot having that control and the players knowing it and being able to get exactly what he wants instead of trying to win with someone else's team.

Should be better than what they've had. Compared to the ridiculous situation they had this year, with bringing someone in that had authority to call plays over the coach's head?

I think its too much for a coach to have personnel decisions as well; coaching a team is more than a full time job, and when you have carte blanche with drafts, contracts, and trades how exactly are you supposed to find the time to actually evaluate college players, other players, and work with other teams? I'm pretty sure the NFL coaches spend around 80 hours a week coaching, so I'm not sure how they can basically hold another duty.

I think Parcells and a few others could pull it off because they actually delegate and trust people; others don't do so well at it.

The trades he has with Cleveland a few years back and a few other really did Denver in...hopefully he puts his ego aside and let people who are paid to evaluate talent make personnel decisions.

Dan Snyder tried this type of move once before by hiring Marty Schottenheimer to be the coach/ GM. But because Marty wouldn't kowtow to Snyder, he was dismissed after one season.

A shame too. Marty was turning the ship around when a pissy Snyder became infatuated with Steve Spurrier. And we all know how THAT turned out.

It all depends upon if Shanny is willing to suck Snyder's dick.

I predict one season and out.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN the previous coaching staff didn't address the issue of offensive linemen? What a bunch of DOUCHEBAGS!! ... Oh HELLO Mr. Snyder!"

shanahan is there for the paycheck. he's going to mail it in after half a season and angle to get fired so he can keep getting paid.

shanahan is there for the paycheck. he's going to mail it in after half a season and angle to get fired so he can keep getting paid.

Would he really be that much of a weasel? I would hope that Shanny's ego would be big enough to believe that he can do the job right.

Has anyone been successful as coach & GM? Holmgren got Seattle to the superbowl a few years back, and kind of went downhill from there. I can't think of anyone who's done better consistently.

I don't see how Washington could do any better than Shanahan. Pittsburgh is a stable, top notch football organization that Cowher benefited tremendously from. I question how well he would do in Washington's organization. Shanahan was the best coach on the market, now it's just a matter of if he can work with Snyder.

Not sure I agree with this decision; he gets run out of Denver for making poor personnel moves and they give him the run on personnel decisions...hopefully he's smart enough to stay on the practice field and work on the x's and o's...

Outside of Cowher probably the best hire they could have made (just w/o the executive powers)

He got run out of Denver because the owner is a fucking retard. His bad personnel moves must of been playing the second half of the season with his 6th string RB due to injuries.

Are we sure Shanahan is even really that great of a coach?

His record the last few years with a so called all star QB was .500.

His personnel moves have been awful.

Since losing his fantastic positions coaches from Denver they didn't seem to do much at all.

Same with Cowhler really, i really see him tanking hard the next place he goes without the elite franchise front office behind him making the moves.

Plus he is old

he's grooming his son to be HC. He'll give up HC in a few years and retain Exec VP Football Ops. promoting Kyle from OC to HC.

fine by me. I don't think he's the best personelle guy, or even that great of a coach.

but allen/shanahan is infinitely better than snyder/cerrato/zorn.

that being said, i think zorn would be a fine coach if he was given the support required.

Back