News: T:V Box Art Finalized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nomad said:
maybe cuz they need to start printing hundreds of thousands of boxes months in advance?

True ... but this is from the "official" forum.

-----------------------------------------------

guy.welch (Web Producer) - 03:32pm Aug 12, 2004 PST (#22 of 43) Reply
Vivendi Universal Games Web Marketing Manager
We've been reading the comments of Tribes fans on this board (and others) and wanted to assure you -- the box hasn't went to film yet!

As many of you have commented there are dozens of considerations that drive box design such as the shelf read (how this box pops when viewed on a crowded shelf). It also needs to demonstrate the unique character of the title -- jetpacks, multiplayer -- the things the series is known for. And so on...

I assure you that we're trying to create the best packaging possible, something that will get people to PICK UP THE BOX and learn more about the game through details on the back and inside spread. The company takes the stewardship of this brand very seriously.

Thanks to all on the forums for your feedback as well as those who participated in real world focus group testing as the initial direction took shape.

We look forward to sharing the designs inside spread and the back of box with you.

-------------------------------------

So what you have is Menzo saying 'STFU it's staying' and the other going 'Were reviewing'.

Ordos said:
Screw it.

I just don't understand the process enough to comprehend why that box art is officially final.

I'll tell you why. Being a graphic designer for 5 yrs now I will tell you: designers do a certain job for a project that looks very nice, then it goes through the client (in this case Sierra) and they make changes to it that totally fucks everything up. It's called "people with no design sense making decisions".

Menzo said:
Now this is an idea I can get behind. Unfortunately, Wal-Mart probably wouldn't approve. :(

Maybe something for Leisure Suit Larry!

Give Julia the Himilayas that Fool had on the his box and you got my vote.

We can stick her in a puritan outfit for the Walmart crowd.

SaintDude said:
OMG he speaks! Menzo what are you and the powers that be thinking about the current box and the suggestions made here? :)

He replied somewhere around page 20 and made it abundently clear that he/they have no intention of changing it on the grounds that it is "final" and "thats the way things are sometimes". He then said he valued feedback but that we should do something constructive like mass email sites like IGN and Gamespot for more coverage. It was a great display of marketing prowess and all around dumbassery.

FittyTuck said:
I like the different box idea and I was bored as hell. I agree that the franchise is not big enough but we can dream.

I had to use the old logos since that was all I had. I am not even sure if the Imperial logo is correct. :lol:

TVbox3d_Veng.jpg

TVbox3d_BE.jpg

TVbox3d_CotP.jpg

TVbox3d_Imp.jpg

you, my friend, are a genious. i think that irrational should release all these boxes and randomize the layouts used. so if you want, you could go to a local staples and pickup the box you like best. OR if you're something crazy of a collector, you buy all the boxes. Hehe.

Those boxes could be released with the 'finalized' one they already have. In fact, why not use all the boxes featured here? That would be neat, if not very confuzzling.

Or maybe the images designed here could be used for an "Editors Edition" or "Special Edition" of the game, like Epic did with UT2k4's editors edition...

just some ideas.

Menzo, as a fellow marketing guy I have a good deal of respect for what you do as I do it on a daily basis. The thing is Menzo, is you are not following the basic rule of marketing.

"Presentation is everything"

I spent 4 years working at Disney in the marketing department and let me say that we really valued the input of our guests. We spent countless hours and tons of money asking the guests what looks good to them and what they liked about Disney. We then took their ideas and put them in a "think tank" and came away with tons of ideas. We showed them to people and went with what was their top choices.

This is something that is the basic success to a company but the most sacred rule about marketing. You have to give what the people want. Imagine what a Disney commercial would be like without having any clips from the rides or of people having fun. It is not the same.

I do understand that the word of mouth goes a long way and it does but when you are trying to capture the attention of people then you need to "listen to what people say" instead of saying that they have no voice in the matter.

Now to play devils advicate I do understand that you might have had no choice in the matter. If you are told this is it and nothing will change then you should let us know that you were not the one who chose the cover. People will remember you by your actions.

Look how TW went to bat for Marweas. They loved the guy and maybe you don't want to be loved by TW but at least an explanation would give people an understanding.

Just for the record, I don't like the "official" box design. FittyTuck's black version with the Julia silhouette, eyes, action in the background, etc, gets my vote.

That said, I'll provide a little insight from my job that might help to explain why we're being told the "box is final". I think even if Sierra/VUG wanted to change the box art that would probably mean that their targeted ship date would have to slip in order to make it happen.

I work for a large consumer products company that makes a lot of very popular household products. More than likely, you've used some of them. Many of these products are packaged in flashy, plastic film packaging or glossy, printed cardboard boxes. I know from various new product launches that I've worked on that the process to actually CHANGE the packaging is usually a 10 to 12 week minimum. It boils down to a few things: (1) Your company is usually not the one printing/producing your packaging, so there's the delay in working through another company that is making your packaging for you; (2) If these boxes are produced anything like the packages I've worked on, the actual industrial process that is used to make the packaging is pretty intricate, so that if you change the appearance of the packaging you have to fabricate new printing plates from scratch, and that takes time because those plates are high-precision, very expensive pieces of equipment - the boxes aren't being printed on some dude's laser printer in his garage; (3) You have to deal with the bureaucracy of big business. Any change of this magnitude would require the seal of approval from multiple layers of management. Probably in this case, if Sierra/VUG has already sunk money into printing up a batch of boxes for launch, they are probably talking about eating around 1/4 to 1/2 a million dollars if they already printed the boxes. They would have to scrap all those boxes, possibly delay the ship date, and dole out another chunk of cash to print up the new box. At the end of the day, Sierra/VUG are in this to make as much money as possible out of this, and their top decision-makers would have to be convinced that scrapping the box and starting over is going to put them out ahead of where they would be if they did nothing.

But having said all that, I hope they change the box art. Even if it delays the ship date, in the end I think it would be worth it. The current box is so bad I don't see how it's supposed to have any shelf appeal to fuel an impulse purchase or lure in the gamer that has no idea what Tribes is about.

For the love of the game, change the box!

PS:

A question for the folks at Sierra/VUG: Was the box design ever tested in focus groups? If so, I'd recommend your marketing folks take your version of the box and some of the versions that the community came up with, present them to a panel of gamers that know very little about the Tribes series, and see which box design convinces them to spend $50 to try the game.

Last edited:
Look at some successful franchises out there... MVP Baseball 2004, EA puts Albert Pujols, one of the best baseball players out there, on the cover of their game. Ray Lewis is on the cover of Madden 2005... These are successful franchises because of the gameplay and experience, but they don't just stick a couple of no-name linemen going at it on the cover.

At least focus on the key people in the game who you'll get to know and show the weapons you'll be using on the cover. Like someone mentioned earlier, it looks like a bad science fiction novel cover. I've been playing Tribes for the past 5 years and I really want T:V to be as successful as possible. This is just coming from someone who loves the franchise. I hope something can be changed in this.

SIERRA guys, I really want this game to succeed.

Unfortunately, the box design is one the most important elements to consider

Please review your decision-s

Now that I think of it... it's just a cover...

I mean personally I won't flip a tit if that coverarts gets printed up. And sure it doesn't sound like it will bring many new people into the mix. But Tribes has such a great community anyway, why should we bother getting new casual gamers into the game when they'd probably spend all day on a server complaining how the game sucks, or try to find a way to cheat or exploit. My point being, we already have a dedicated community right here. Why ask for more?

Heres how I look at it. The guys here at TW are just trying to help make Tribes more popular. We have all seen ss's, some have played the game, and we have all seen videos. If it was just us getting the game, no one would care about the box, because were not playing a box. BUT, we do know that people in stores won't pick up tribes vengeance because of the box. It has to catch the eye. The box is too bland. You have us sold on the game, but with the box as it is right now, people that don't know anything about the game won't even pick it up unless its advertised heavily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back