News: KP Talks Beta Changes

this is a dumb concept but is it possible to give the grabbler ammo on certain maps, aka maps that most definately need the ammo nerf on it? and then on other maps buff it back up to unlimited? (dumb idea) ;)

i -do- like the idea of having the grabbler ammo being taken away when the grabbler line breaks. I think thats a fair way to use the ammo system with it.

im sure on a gametype like ball, you can go without dieing a long time (can you grabble the ball?) so having grabbler ammo on a gametype like this wouldnt work to well would it? seeming how you're trying to grabble to ball to yourself whenever its thrown, thatll take a lot of ammo it seems.. :eek:

btw my suggestions are shazbot, so feel free to flame an not read them, kthxbi

-cyanide- said:
oh

i want to play

i havea cd key but no installer/play disc

Windexy is innocent...j/k

As far as the grappler goes, I'm not in the beta either, but to me its kinda like give the repair gun 5 shots, and its out of ammo. However, I don't think that the grappler should be able to be exploited to the point where the game turns into spider man. Maybe a compromise. 30 grappler ammo for each armor, that way, no one will complain because no one will use all 30 before they die, but, if someone is exploiting it and swinging around like spider man, they will run out. Just my 2 cents, let me know what you think.

_roxycon said:
I got it! One map has an issue, instead of fixing the map, let's just nerf the whole damn tool.
It's not just one map. It is any map with a lot of grapplable objects. You have seen 4 maps, the dev team has seen all the maps. Stop acting like a moron and test it as is before you start screaming ignorant remarks.

r00fies said:
im sure on a gametype like ball, you can go without dieing a long time (can you grabble the ball?) so having grabbler ammo on a gametype like this wouldnt work to well would it? seeming how you're trying to grabble to ball to yourself whenever its thrown, thatll take a lot of ammo it seems.. :eek:

You mean you might actually have to learn to aim?!? OMG, heaven forbid.

Personally I didn't mind chasing grappling cappers on cavern, nor on other maps. Have to try it next patch first tho to see. Does it decrement the ammo count only if it grabs something?

Im strongly against increasing the chaingun spread. As is, its a good weapon for spawns to use againt vehicles, and gives decent accuracy over medium ranges. Up close I have yet to be raped by someone using it as often happened in 01/02. Thats probably what I like most about it currently. You can kill with it, but not effortlessly, and its much more effective as a distance weapon than upclose.

I do like that the rocket pod is being reverted back. No more bombers just hovering over your base blasting everyone in site for 3 minutes.

Sounds good Mike :)

TopoGeigeo said:
I'm not in the beta (I'll get it when its open) but this is how I feel the grappler should work...

You have the grappler, you shoot it and it attaches onto something, then when you release you have to wait for it to retract before you can shoot it again. But not have it take too long, cause then you can't swing well... Once its retracted again, you can fire again. If the line s cut, or snapped, then you have to reload a new head onto the line, like running out of ammo in the general FPS. This could also be done by a time penalty or something. If there is to be a limited number of grapples, it should be on the replaceable heads and not on the individual shots. So lets say a light gets 2 heads, a medium gets 3, and a heavy gets 4. Something along those lines.

Thats how I feel the grappler should work.

Edit - To expand on this, I also feel that the grappler should snal under a certain amount of stress. So if your going along, and you grapple something directly infront of you, and then you pass the object and you stop dead, the line should instead snap. And you'd have to put a new head on. This makes you look and be more careful as to where your grappling. Again I'm not in the beta so I don't know if the line as is will snap right now from stress.

Not sure about the heads/armor idea but I like where your going on this !

Is the grapple line currently suseptable to at least some explosive damage?

*puts on devils advocate hat*

I dont think a flag carrier should be able to use a grappler. I think it will ruin my favorite part of tribes (chasing).

It's a overpowered gimmick weapon that will give people a reason (and rightly so) to dismiss T:V as a serious competition game. It will be exploited and perfected by us to totally ruin the built in balance of this game. Look at those new vids that are out, guys are already using it like a whip to get across flat areas by using little hills to shoot off of.

It should not work for flag carriers, it should not work on dirt (duh) and it should stop working if you break it a few times.

*takes off hat*

Someone needed to say it.

_roxycon said:
The grappler is a staple aspect of the game. Don't nerf it. There's no reason, it's a goddamn tool, not a weapon...

The grappling hook is not a weapon, it's a tool. Like a butcher knife, or a harpoon, or... or an alligator.

Grappler ammo might be most damaging to a gametype like rabbit, where you could go through your shots very quickly. Even then, I don't think many players would survive through 20 grappler shots based on the footage I've seen of rabbit. It'd probably be fairly easy to base ammo on gametype, too.

Personally I'd like to see both ammo and "reel-up time" tested. A longer time between shots seems like it would balance things a little better, and give people more of a reason to ski - but that's just speculation on the part of someone who can't play the game yet.

I'd imagine chasing around a highly skilled Grappler-user could be quite fun in certain situations. I don't think the answer is to have an ammo count, or some other disadvantage kick in after a certain number of uses. Instead, I think it'd be better to have some kind of penalty for each use, such as energy comsumption. I truly think this would make the Grappler an even more skilled weapon, as the player would essentially be weighing the advantage of one type of mobility (grappling) against another (jetting), as the same time allowing the user to grapple around the map indefinately.

A couple people in the thread are saying stupid things about the tank

- reduced tank main projectile damage (180->140)
- reduced tank main refire rate (0.5/s->0.32/s)

180 damage per shell * 0.5 shells per second = 90 damage per second.
140 dps * 0.32 sps = 44.8 damage per second. So this is a mega-tank-nerf.

For what its worth I don't like the idea of grappler ammo but without play the beta I know my input isn't worth much. :shrug:

The E-pack is a tool also, but unless it had some limiting characteristics:

1. takes up an important pack slot (of which there is only 1)
2. cannot be used as a weapon per-se
3. depletes in power with use and only gives marginal jet endurance boost

it would lessen the strategic decisionmaking and skill development aspects of the game - (part of what makes T1 so great imo).

triple said:
And just on a different point, I noticed a ton of changes in there that I know were asked for by testers. They are listening, and they aren't bound by dave g's "vision", which is awesome.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH,so true

Back