New video card appears to hate me

Caswell

Veteran XX
Just got a Powercolor HD 4870, installing it onto a 790GX motherboard.

Vista was already installed and running off IGP. Installed the video card, and Vista won't boot (BSOD that flashes). Wouldn't even boot the Vista install disc. Uninstall card and Vista boots like normal.

CPU is a 5400+ BE, and the PSU is 500w...so power shouldn't be a problem. I have both of the PCIe power cables hooked up.

Is the videocard bad, or am I doing something wrong?

1231220414871lh6.jpg

I know on my mobo bios (My system is fucking old) there is an option to "Init First" a display device with options like PCI or AGP. I wonder if you could switch that one.

I don't have AGP :p

I did check that setting though, it was set to PCI...now it's set to PEG. Problem persists. Checked all the settings...look fine.

Tried the card in a second machine and it works fine. That basically leaves me with a motherboard or PSU problem. I'll swap the PSU from the second system in tomorrow and see if that fixes things.

Fuck, I don't want to have to deal with an RMA.

Did you remember to uninstall the old video drivers first? Also, if you hit f8 before boot up and then go to advanced options you can stop Windows from instantly rebooting after the BSOD. This will tell you the BSOD error and you can go from there...

Don't count a motherboard update out. I bought a 280GTX and it did the EXACT same thing (but with windowx XP). Popped old card back in, flashed bios, no problems after that.

Give the bios update a go.

I don't have AGP :p

I did check that setting though, it was set to PCI...now it's set to PEG. Problem persists. Checked all the settings...look fine.

Yeah I know you probably dont have AGP, thats why I said my system is old, :p

I'm leaning towards some sort of BIOS incompatibility with the card.

Well...a BIOS update kind of helped. I'm now getting a "Stop: c000021a" error on bootup. Trying to use the Vista boot disc doesn't work, loads the files and then just tries to load Vista normally...and crashes.

Fuck this shit...

Either your mobo is fucked or your drivers are causing issues... Did you have an nVidia based card prior to this ATI based card?

Back