[New Thread][BF2]How's everyone enjoying the new patch?

BurninSnipa

Veteran XX
I for one am not happy whatsoever with the patch.

"Dolphin divers" were not hard to kill, and not being able to shoot in the air is retarded (if they were really intent on nuking C4, they should've made it so you can't throw C4 in air). Movement is totally screwed and the lag you get after jumping or being prone is retarded.

Some of the weapons have become waaaay overpowered.
The PKM (one of my favorite guns) is a brutal killer now. I wanted to try my L96 out last night, but every time I would get sniped from across Mashtuur city by some guy with a PKM. It's a belt-fed .50 cal, it should NOT be more accurate than the sniper unlock with a Very High accuracy rating.
The Eryx/SRAW is now ridiculous, with increased splash damage (and a faster reload time, so I've heard... I haven't actually used it yet). However I was getting killed constantly by people guiding these things to the near vicinity surrounding me. Not fun at all.
All heat seeking missiles are now FUBAR, I got shot down by a jet that was already seconds past me... I guess its missiles fired backwards? The AA is ridiculous... choppers are completely dead. On Dragon Valley, its impossible to leave the Wood Yard. On Dalian plant, I got killed on the Main Entrance chopper pad by the AA site at the Maintenance Building (if you aren't sure exactly how messed up that is, go look at the map and see how many buildings are in the way).
I haven't used the P90 either, but I've heard its a worthless unlock almost as bad as the MP5. I got the MP7 instead, because that seems more useful (AT can use the now-overpowered Eryx/SRAW for long range, but Engineers had nothing with the Jackhammer).
Shock paddles. That's right, they're an effective close-range weapon now. They have twice the reach of a knife, and they reload while you are on another weapon. Think of them as instant death.

Helicopters. Oh boy helicopters. I'm quite a good pilot, but I doubt I'll be flying much anymore. As I mentioned, AA destroys them before they can get off the ground. And if you're lucky enough to get in the air, you will be shot down by a single Eryx/SRAW and some small arms fire, or a couple short bursts from a Vodnik/HMMVW, or god knows what else. 8 shots? Now I have to back off everytime I take something out, because I need to reload... not that it matters though, because before I reload I'll get AA'd or whatever. Not to mention the nerfed TV missile... it goes like what, 5 feet now before it blows up?

And the new ranking system? Awesome, I'm glad they didn't make it so General is at 5,000,000 points. However, I fail to see how it makes sense that the point gap from Master Gunny (highest NCOM) to 2nd Lieutenant (lowest Officer) is 1/3 of the gap from Master Sergeant to Master Gunny (10,000 vs 30,000). Even the gap from Gunny to Master Sergeant is higher than that (10,000 vs 12,000). All this did was give the top 25 players awesome new ranks, while most people (I'd say a large majority of players are in the 15,000 - 40,000 range) gained absolutely nothing. Instead of spacing out the unlocks more evenly, they just gave everyone with SF two unlocks for free.

I'm sure I'll find more things that suck about this patch, but I'm incredibly disappointed. I was looking forward to a more skill-based game (ie- not walking around a corner and having some guy who just spawned jump and shoot his M203 at his feet). I was looking forward to a good submachinegun unlock for the AT kit. I was looking forward to the ranks making sense now, they don't. I was certainly NOT looking forward to groundpounding 24/7 (I love infantry, but sometimes a break is needed and flying a helicopter is a completely different game!).

haven't downloaded patch yet, but the helicopters were pretty overpowered before. i constantly get spawn killed/camped by helicopters and tanks, so i'm glad they made the AT stronger.

btw, is it still a memory hogger? everytime i bump up the graphics i get like 100 fps, but when i move/turn, the keys "stick" and the mouse gets jerky :[

helos were overpowered, but only to nubs. If you were good you knew how to take one out. Now the AA makes being in the air impossible. gg EA. I won't be playin anymore.

cheddar said:
Now the AA makes being in the air impossible. gg EA. I won't be playin anymore.
:cry:

Opposed to before when destroying anyone in the air was impossible. Pilots are in the same game as ground players now. :shrug:

Sounds great..

More focus on INFANTRY battles.

Air vehicles might actually have to skill to survive.

Dolphin Diving Bunny Hopping faggots no longer present.

Sounds like a great patch to me.

I fear that I'll think this patch sucks donkey nuts and make me want to stop playing, that is, if I can get the game to work again. First patch application made my game crash upon starting. Yay.

This is the only game I've played for more than 2 months since I started playing tribes 7 years ago

Yeah people have had issues once the patch is installed. Some have had to reinstall completely.

It was NOT hard to take down a chopper if you knew what you were doing with AA or AT. I got tons of chopper kills as AT. Now its not possible to fly a chopper. It's not a matter of skill, its just that you get shot down before you can even start moving.

Suddenly_Dead said:
:cry:

Opposed to before when destroying anyone in the air was impossible. Pilots are in the same game as ground players now. :shrug:

see post above. retard.

You had to be GOOD to get a helo down.

I was having fun last night trying the patch out, in week I am sure I will have a better feel for it when everyone stops using kits and weapons just to see how they feel in the new patch.

The chopper pilots and gunners on the server I was on last night were good and had no problems getting lots of kills. The only differance is that it took less effort to chase them away, but they didn't get taken down a huge number of times.

if only we had a bf2 forum here, and this exact same thread at the top of it to discuss these issues...

oh wait

While I haven't play it yet, sounds like I'll enjoy this patch. FUCK choppers.

I was pretty good with AA, and it still sucked if the pilot was halfway decent. I remember getting 3 shots on a blackhawk with a tank and the thing was still alive.

As far as the PKM, I thought it was accurate enough as it was. Maybe they just felt not enough people were playing support.

As for the shock paddles, I remember playing against one of the top guys in the game and all he would do is dolphin dive with paddles, fuck that shit.

Seriously, am I the only one who likes to play infantry battles they way they're intended to be played?

Austforbeer said:
Seriously, am I the only one who likes to play infantry battles they way they're intended to be played?

Seriously, go play a game that is meant to be more infantry-based.

Killjoy said:
if only we had a bf2 forum here, and this exact same thread at the top of it to discuss these issues...

oh wait
GD is TW... I don't go to TribalWar.com and navigate here, I just have a fav link to GD. Besides, no one reads that shit.

Lets be honest Helicopters were WAY overpowered, this whole "you gotta be good" thing is just a load of crap. That said I do belive it is possible to uneccessarily handicap them though, personally I would either lower the reload time on thier flares or increase the reload speed on AA missles and reduce the number of missle hits it took to three decent shots ( decent as opposed to "OMG YOU GOTTA PRACTICE FOR 5 HOURS A NIGHT TO BE ABLE TO TAKE THOSE 6 SHOTS THAT MIGHT BRING A CHOPPER DOWN" good player you all talk about). Eh who knows sounds like the chopper has to stay mobile now and can't park in one spot and rain insta death down on a spawn anymore. Well the "good" helo pilots will adapt.

Back