new PC

divorce?

• Total voters

Thresh

Contributor
Veteran XX
My wife is going to pop with our first baby in 3 months and I just dropped 4 grand on a new PC

am i getting divorced soon?

No, you will be fine. Smart buying it before the baby was born. Probably wasn’t gonna happen afterwards. Probably the last thing you will do for yourself in quite a long time from now.

Congrats on getting laid

from my reddit post

New to the sub but I’ve been building my own PCs my entire adult life. I’m currently using a build I completed in 2013 and I’ve recently started a new job that pays a wee bit more and I want to build a new gaming PC with less regard to price and more interest in higher performance parts.

That said, I have not chosen astronomically priced ridiculous parts either. I’m going with an i7-8700K rather than the i9 because I don’t hate my money. However, there are some parts on this list that are more expensive and I want to ensure I’m not picking things I shouldn’t.

I would call myself an enthusiast but I’m not at all up to speed on everything new and it’s possible I’ve chosen poorly- which is why I’m posting here. Looking for advice on everything and whether or not you like each item or if you have a recommendation.

Thanks everyone!

New Build:

Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout Brushed Aluminum/Steel ATX Silent Modular Tempered Glass Window Mid Tower Computer Case

I wanted a case that keep fan noise down and I chose this case before I made the switch to liquid cooling. There will still be some case fans and a GPU fan so I’m still happy with this case. I chose the windowed version to show off the few components inside that are LED equipped. (Not linked is the upgraded front panel that will include USB 3.1 and a type C connector, it’s an additional 20 dollars and is sold separately)

GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (Intel LGA1151/Z370/ATX/3xM.2/Onboard AC WIFI/Front USB 3.1/RGB Fusion/Fan Stop/SLI/Motherboard)

I did not choose the Gaming 7 because it didn’t seem to have anything I actually wanted. I won’t be using WiFi on this build but the 5 has it (and BT) and the price was right.

Intel Core i7-8700K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.7GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W

I chose the unlocked CPU in case overclocking becomes a thing I want to do- I’ll have he option, and the price difference is minimal.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID GAMING, 11G-P4-6598-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, HYBRID & LED, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors

I originally had the FTW3 from EVGA but found this card comparable and cheaper.

SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 2-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7P1T0BW

Direct from Tomshardware recommendation.

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14Q-32GVK

It took me quite a while to find RAM on the supported memory list from the MB manufacturer. I would like 32 GB of RAM and I’m not married to this one- but I chose it almost solely on size and compatibility.

Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB AIO CPU Liquid Cooler, Sleeved FEP Tubing, Dual 120mm RGB Air Balance MF, RGB Software compatible, Dual Dissipation Technology

Toms recommended- decided based on size and number of fans. Also compatible with case.

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular, FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Power Supply 120-GP-1000-X1

I had a different PSU initially but when I selected the EVGA GPU- this came up with a combo deal for 80 bucks off.

SAMSUNG 860 Pro Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-76P1T0BW

Mass storage and I chose an SSD over an HDD simply because I feel like it’s time to stop buying HDDs. I understand I could get much cheaper storage but I’m opting for the SSD.

Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Professional Grade Wired/Wireless Gaming Mouse

Last mouse I bought was wired because the wireless lag was super frustrating. They claim it’s a thing of the past so I’m taking a chance on wireless mice once again.

ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 4ms G-SYNC Eye Care Gaming Monitor with DP and HDMI ports

I stopped just short of 4K for several reasons, monitor options probably the largest reason. Getting a good response and refresh rate and 4K seemed difficult. 1440 is still an upgrade from my 1080, and maybe in the future when display prices come down I’ll upgrade to 4K.

Few miscellaneous items on the list (OS, mouse pad, arctic silver, etc) and my grand total is around $4,000. Any input on individual items is greatly appreciated.

I also just added the intel optum memory SSD thingy. Figured I'd give it a shot. idk.

that is a super computer holy shit

make sure to get a nice german made mechanical kb cuz ur child is going to smash that bitch

Some thoughts

You don't need a 1000w psu. 750 should do fine. EVGA G2/G3

Just grab the SATA SSD, put the OS on it, ditch the 970, and get a regular HDD for large storage. You don't need an NVME and you won't notice the difference, I promise. Why are you ditching hard drives? You're not building a laptop. You have space, use it.

For 1440p gaming just grab a regular 1080. It's fine. Yes I know that monitor can do 165hz. It's still fine. That was my exact setup for the last year and I never had to make compromises.

Last edited:
I got v similar super computer a month or so back

make sure you get a sick monitor to make the most of it :hungry:

Some thoughts

You don't need a 1000w psu. 750 should do fine. EVGA G2/G3

Just grab the SATA SSD, put the OS on it, ditch the 970, and get a regular HDD for large storage. You don't need an NVME and you won't notice the difference, I promise. Why are you ditching hard drives? You're not building a laptop. You have space, use it.

For 1440p gaming just grab a regular 1080. It's fine. Yes I know that monitor can do 165hz. It's still fine. That was my exact setup for the last year and I never had to make compromises.

Already bought all the parts. Nobody has told me I'm buying the wrong parts, lots of people saying I don't need the ones I've chosen. Price point isn't really the issue and I wanted to ditch the HDDs because of speed, pure and simple. OS is going on the 970, the 860 will be mass storage.

I will upgrade to a 4k display when they become better for gaming and prices are more reasonable, the 1440 is a stopgap for now.

also- the 1000 watt PSU is in case the 1080ti's drop in price with the 11 series dropping sometime soon I will have headroom for SLI

i always think sli is a good idea then i realize just getting a single top tier card is the better all around value

id only scale back on the 1000w psu bcuz of that but honestly w/e

ree

Back