New lush terrain

I am working on 2048x2048 pallets on lush, are these just overlays gr00?

Mine look very real & sharp, but the load time b4 a map takes a bit longer.

nice job nonetheless =)

naw not overlays, it was a photoshop batch action that took the original 128x128 images and applied 25 (lol!) adjustments, filters or layers

the nice thing is that every tile is true to the originals - every green patch and dot is exactly where it should be, just cleaner

also i personally found that anything above 512x was overkill - 1024x + there was barely any noticeable difference in quality and yet they added ridiculous load times and the memory usage was insane (using the 1024x uncompressed pngs for marsDML made my tribes go from 120M of RAM to 950M)

also i personally found that anything above 512x was overkill - 1024x + there was barely any noticeable difference in quality and yet they added ridiculous load times and the memory usage was insane (using the 1024x uncompressed pngs for marsDML made my tribes go from 120M of RAM to 950M)

exactly I always thought that anything above 512 was redundant. especially when your graphics card will just smooth it over with anti aliasing.

hey groove, next time you make a pattern for your batch do this.

when you make the pattern go to filters>other>offset

if you're working on a 512x512 image make the offset 256x256 and it will draw the corners to the middle. Then use the clone stamp tool to make all the edges match.

Then offset again 256x256.

ctrl A (select all) and save pattern.

Then when you do a batch use the color select tool and apply the pattern to the same size terrain tile.

I'm sure you already know some of this. I noticed a few of the terrain pieces are splitting at the seams. Just thought I'd help :)

Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz 2.79GHz 3.00 GB of RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 7300 LE (drivers are up to date)

Funny thing is, i can run Elf's mars terrains, Groove's fix for Elf's terrain, but i can't run Groove's lush. Seems like the 1024 mars tiles i can run but not the 512 or 256 lush tiles. I've tried replacing the existing lushDML zip with Groove's, and even created a separate folder for lushDML, leaving the original zip. But Tribes crashes anytime a lush terrain map is loaded.

exactly I always thought that anything above 512 was redundant. especially when your graphics card will just smooth it over with anti aliasing.

hey groove, next time you make a pattern for your batch do this.

when you make the pattern go to filters>other>offset

if you're working on a 512x512 image make the offset 256x256 and it will draw the corners to the middle. Then use the clone stamp tool to make all the edges match.

Then offset again 256x256.

ctrl A (select all) and save pattern.

Then when you do a batch use the color select tool and apply the pattern to the same size terrain tile.

I'm sure you already know some of this. I noticed a few of the terrain pieces are splitting at the seams. Just thought I'd help :)

yeah the whole thing was 100% photoshop batch job, i only edited one tile manually and even that was more than i wanted to do. props to Elfyourself for doing so much detail by hand, but fuck that. if you wanna smooth the edges feel free but that's way more work than i wanted to put into it

I actually might just do that. we should collaborate on a full HQ 1.4
maybe someone can get a hold of the shader plugin?

i suppose it might be an issue of memory usage (maybe video memory i dunno)

try in a different config? fuck i dunno, i had a similar issue (they worked in my T2012 configs but not my milk-man style ones) and narrowed it down to terrainlodamount by replacing files from the working one into the non-working one until i narrowed it down to clientprefs and then had to figure out which setting it was

luckily my problem had the word 'terrain' in it so it was kinda a giveaway :p

I got it figured out. It was the extra files like .dil and what not that were the problem so i removed them and now they work. Thanks for all your input.

ah yeah, i suppose theres a few ways to install the textures

personally i remove the old whateverDML.zip and put mine in its place

you can put them in a folder and leave the original .zip but you run into times where old patches still load from the default .zip (usually OK on first load, but will happen occasionally after a few maps for whatever reason) and i guess because i included the .dig files and stuff in the .zip it causes ... complications

also

tumblr_mibuuz2hdn1rvx2feo1_500.gif

Yeah i noticed you didn't add those files into the marsDML. I figured if i could run the mars, then i would check the zip to see what files where there compared to the lush. But if i run into problems with the lush i'll do as you suggested and add the complete zip, but for now all is good.

Back