New Laptop Thread :-/

Skibbi9

Contributor
Veteran XX
Looking for a 13.3-14" laptop that isn't a fat beast and has a dedicated gpu (so I can run some games if I want)

here's the contenders
The 14" Razor Blade
Razer Blade 14": The World's Thinnest Gaming Laptop - Razer United States

Pro: Thin and Light (4lbs), great internals
Con: $2k, crappy 900p display, small SSD only, lacks a lot of plugs (3usb and HDMI)

Asus UX302LG
ASUS Zenbook Infinity UX302LG

Pro: 3lb package, nice case, touchscreen (?)
Con: weak gfx (730m), not yet released/delayed

MSI GE40
MSI Notebook Official Website | G Series - GE40 2OC-245US Gaming Notebook / Laptop

Pro: Good internals (760m), lots of storage, decent 1080p display, $1350
Con: 4.5 lbs and a bit thick, heat issues possible

Gigabyte U24F, U24T, P34G
GIGABYTE - Notebook & Netbook - Notebook & Netbook - U series - U24F

Pro: decent internals (750m), lots of storage, decent 1080p display, 1200+, 4lbs, compact package
Con: less proven laptop manufacturer, p34g has a desktop i7 so it churns through the battery, touchscreen on u24t seems problematic.

Basically riding with this on my bike each day, plan to do a couple hours of word processing and surfing. Maybe some games at night (attached to a monitor/keyboard)
Thoughts?

Am I missing some contenders?

I had an Asus Gaming Rupublic going on three years now and it's still kicking. Video card is up-gradable so if the rest of it will hold together it could go another three while maintaining a decent FPS. It can get hot, but it does have dedicated vents and junk blowing out the back.

yeah, the GE40 is in there. The Alienware 14 is 6.5 lbs so superfatty (the MSI GS70 is far superior and lighter if weight weren't an issue) the Sagers are ok (mixed previous experience) but only use the high TDP processors which are going to eat battery much faster.

if you're riding it around on a bike wouldn't a bulkier laptop be more shock resistant and therefor better long term?

the asus gaming republic laptops are beasts. thats what im using. best laptop ive ever bought. but i got the 17inch and it is bulky as fuck.

i almost bought that MSI laptop (or actually, maybe it was the 15.6") the other day but then i decided i didn't want a discrete graphics card this time around

gigabyte 24t is out(768 touch screen, yuck!)

kind of liked the touchscreens in the store, don't know where to go from here though, might just wait til spring?

Back