[new job] yeah so...the honeymoon is already over

Have to document and plain English what some of it means to them especially the security shit. CC everyone and their grandmother. You might catch some shit from your immediate boss but his boss might be impressed at you and worried at the same time that his company is that vulnerable. How big of a corp is this and what kind of money are we talking about?

if the shit's as bad as he says, the only thing documenting it will do it provide a little CYA when there's a breech or when they fail an audit.

and until that time it's going to be really hard to get anything changed. if it means money and downtime no one wants to touch it if it *looks* like it's working right.

If you're not "in" with the IT director then forget it. And if you think he's a "retard" then it's probably not going to work out.

The only way to move up is to talk to the IT director about becoming a manager, and supervising the people in the trenches. Otherwise all those great ideas were from the IT director as far as everyone is concerned.

He's probably waiting for you to prove yourself before he gives you any power. He's not going to do that in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
after two weeks, I've found a company filled for the most part with rookies that have no business designing networks that transport highly sensitive health care information.

no consideration for the current federal and state statutes, no vision for scalability and security.

I'm spending my days playing musical fucking public IP blocks with hospital networks instead of fixing the 20 or so pages of problems I've found in the last two weeks.

on the good side, I like some of the guys I work with, there are some smart people "in the trenches" but the director of said IT department is essentially a retard.

oh and I've already cracked just about every password they have....

and yeah....

I really wish people would be fucking up front in interviews about the environment they have built so I wouldn't have to tell them they are retards.

luckily for me, there's no shortage of jobs for someone with my skills and I don't think it will be very difficult at all to find a new one...

I may give this company a couple more months to realize that they need some serious redesign before I start looking too seriously

other than that my life is just great :sunny:

how about you fellows?

/blog
Seriously - it sounds like the perfect opportunity to show your stuff and essentially take over.
We had a guy do that - it two years he was a partner.

So print off a list of every single password you have and throw it on some higher ups desk and tell him "we have a problem and this is how to fix it".

Seems like you are in a pretty damn good position to take over.

Or take the list of passwords, get a shit load of sensitive information and black mail them :shrug:

So print off a list of every single password you have and throw it on some higher ups desk and tell him "we have a problem and this is how to fix it".
Funny, but that won't work unless he does it in a friendly way while talking to the guy above the IT Director.

Let's go back to how people advance in companies, and I'll have to be racist to do it. Jews promote Jews up the CEO ladder, it happens automatically. Don't think so, just read the history of Google where they brag about hiring Jews as the top two positions after the owner started the company. It's ok to talk about the Jewish stereotype when discussing success stories like Google.

So if BadMoFo is Jewish, he'll probably move up the CEO ladder. It happens automatically. The person above you is supposed to bring you into his office and talk about your plan to become a manager. You're supposed to be going to lunch with him. If this is not happening, then you're not being "included."

You can be the biggest geek in the work, know the system inside and out, know more than the IT director, but none of it matters unless you are "included." Doesn't seem to be happening here, so move on, and at the next interview talk about your management path.

Last edited:
take the racist shit out of ngfm's post, and I generally agree. you can do a lot of work, tell the higher ups there's an issue, put together a plan to get it fixed, and ultimately it's not going to happen unless the problem just cost you a lot of money, or unless the higher ups have convinced themselves that they really thought of it first and that you actually mostly copied their plans...they'll feel the need the "fix" something in the plan so they don't feel completely guilty ripping it off, but since they don't actually understand the whole plan or the reasons for it the thing they'll add and insist on will just fuck the whole thing up and cause more problems...but since they thought of it and pushed it through everyone will agree it's a massive success.

Go to your higher up. If he blows you off, give him a deadline to act before you start going higher up the ladder.

Also, start creating a trail of memos and emails in case things go to shit before they're fixed so no blame can be placed on you.

christ stits you're worse then this director, wants a status update on something that was assigned on friday night by monday morning

newsflash: I dont work weekends bitches :lol:

also, I've already talked to the CIO and he knows shit isn't right he just isn't sure what needs to be done, there's a trust issue a little bit.

I'm going to get his approval to pen test the network to see how much I can uncover as a malicious insider KEKE

it won't be pretty when I put every employees password on his desk :sunny:

christ stits you're worse then this director, wants a status update on something that was assigned on friday night by monday morning

newsflash: I dont work weekends bitches :lol:

also, I've already talked to the CIO and he knows shit isn't right he just isn't sure what needs to be done, there's a trust issue a little bit.

I'm going to get his approval to pen test the network to see how much I can uncover as a malicious insider KEKE

it won't be pretty when I put every employees password on his desk :sunny:

Dude, I was the worst at that stuff. I was always the guy that wanted everything NOW. I've gotten better....I think.....maybe not.

But that's good to hear, look like you can climb beyond the bullshit and really show them what needs to be done and how to do it. Is Kevin going to come on board for this?

Do you have 'The Look'? cos unless you are a Jew you gotta have 'The Look' or you will never advance in life

if the shit's as bad as he says, the only thing documenting it will do it provide a little CYA when there's a breech or when they fail an audit.

and until that time it's going to be really hard to get anything changed. if it means money and downtime no one wants to touch it if it *looks* like it's working right.

I landed a job where the entire IT department was a wreck. 5 different brands of desktops most of which were trash. 3 different brands of servers half of which had some problem. Zero maintenance done on any of this ever. Nothing streamlined. Put a band aid on it and run away like something is chasing you. The server room literally had wires punched through the drop ceiling tiles with what looked like a screw driver and then duct taped to the walls. Hell they had several machines that they a) didn't know what they were for or b) hadn't been turned on in 6 months to a year. USERS had free access to the server room to randomly reboot shit when it was acting up. The air conditioning was horribly inadequate. Zero battery backup. Ancient tape backup system that was moody at best. This is only a partial list btw.

Anyway, my supervisor told me best to leave it all alone and for 6 months I did but it was a constant thorn in my side. He left the company finally and our only real boss was in another city all together. I said fuck it and started the ball rolling. Wrecking ball time. Gutted the server room. Started ghosting desktops which was foreign concept to these guys. Finally got the point where there was 90% less desktop problems and the servers which had been having daily reboots had gotten to the 24\7 uptime point. After that I was able to contact my bosses and tell them I needed new AC, new servers, new desktops, software etc etc. Because I took the initiative they pretty much signed off on over 100k in new hardware, electrical work, AC, physical security and so on. It might not seem like a lot of cash but for our small company it was a decent chunk. Good times. :D

Dude, I was the worst at that stuff. I was always the guy that wanted everything NOW. I've gotten better....I think.....maybe not.

But that's good to hear, look like you can climb beyond the bullshit and really show them what needs to be done and how to do it. Is Kevin going to come on board for this?

I've been chatting with him about it, he's certainly interested however I doubt there will be any capital outlay to get him involved at that level.

I can do a ton of shit without him around though, I'll just miss a few things most likely

Back