New computer

Thumper

Veteran X
So the "antivirus2008" or whatever I got about a month ago has pretty much ruined my 7 year old computer.

I am in the market for a computer (tower only) that will be good for pretty much just surfing the web, maybe a minimal game, photos and thats about it.

There were a couple on dells website that I liked but ive been out of the computer world for so long I have no idea what is good anymore. I added another GB of ram otherwise its stock like the link.
Inspiron 570 Desktop Details | Dell

THere was also an HP at bestbuy that didn't seem to bad but i've heard horror stories about HP's.
HP - Slimline Desktop / AMD Athlon™ II Dual-Core Processor / 3GB Memory / 640GB Hard Drive - s5510y

I have never owned an HP so who knows. I have however used Dells at work for the last 7 years (laptop and desktop) and have been happy with them.

I dont need anything fancy, just something thats going to work. I dont game anymore on the PC so that isn't an issue.

I currently have a AMD xp2000 @1.6Ghz, 1GB ram on a Shuttle board, GeForce TI4200, 40GB and a 10GB HDD running XP Pro. Its old, I want a new computer and the version of XP that I 'bought' in 2003 is missing.

I know a lot of you guys are really good with computers and building them. Im sure a few of you probably vomited a the idea of buying a prebuilt computer but I really have no desire research and build one. I want to buy one that when it gets here, I can turn it on and with minimal effort, be back up and running.

Thanks!

Last edited:
HXjoy01-thumb.jpg

For 500$ you can get a decent gaming rig, won't play most recent games, but it'll do fine. As for what I'll leave for those who like to bargain shop.

Edit: decent gaming rig, not recent gaming rig, blasted typos.

Last edited:
i am a bargain person. I have a good laptop that works for what I need but I dont like laptops, and its my wifes.

I like sitting in front of my 22" monitor as opposed to a 15" screen

Back