New Asscension screenshot!

Man Zio you're harsh. But I cant say much because your mapping and art is outstanding. You have something against the renwerx folks or what?

New Asscension triple firing jetpack uncovered!!!

dscn1174.jpg

Shot of back...

dscn1177.jpg

Can't forget a side view too!

dscn1178.jpg

Last edited:
Edit: Nevermind, Bugs told me it's already on TSE
But still, it's a fucking pre alpha

In other news, thanks for reminding me how cool legos are.

Last edited:
?B-MAN said:
Man Zio you're harsh. But I cant say much because your mapping and art is outstanding. You have something against the renwerx folks or what?

Harsh is being too sweet for the little imp...more like brainfart fucking troll.

Keep up the great effort Renwerx!!!

:rofl:

Ascension New name:

Tribes: LegoWars

btw .. wasn't Ascension one of the names that was posted in the "save tribes franchise" posts ? alot of brain/forum storming they did for that one ....

?B-MAN said:

I think you are giving Zio WAY too much credit. Nothing I've seen done by him could be considered "outstanding" by any means. He is clearly semi-talented, it's just too bad he is such a giant douchebag who has 10x the ego than he does talent.

americanjoe said:
:rofl:

Ascension New name:

Tribes: LegoWars

btw .. wasn't Ascension one of the names that was posted in the "save tribes franchise" posts ? alot of brain/forum storming they did for that one ....

Ascension and Volitant Assault are both names suggested in a poll in their forum

You wanna know what really blows my fucking mind apart?

How egotistical the TribalWar news story was. It was written from the perspective that what the Ren team is doing is revolutionary. It’s not. Let’s break it down...

REN - "For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards...”
Leonardo Da Vinci

Zio - Right off the bat... Egotistical as hell, Ren did NOT pioneer the Z axis style game. Get over yourselves.

REN - RenWerX has revealed that the final release title for its upcoming game will be ‘Ascension’, replacing the previous working title ‘Volitant Assault’. The name Ascension alludes to the freedom of movement afforded by the universal jetpack featured in the game, and also indicates a tangible evolution from past games of the genre.

Zio - Much better name, but again the Ren team is eluding that they have designed something new here, it appears they are breaking the mold from reading that. “a tangible evolution from past games of the genre” What’s the tangible evolution?

REN - Ascension is being described as an online ‘FPS+Z’ (First Person Shooter with advanced character movement on the Z axis). FPS+Z games typically use jetpacks to propel players through the air and across extreme terrain in a variety of game-types such as CTF, Rabbit, and Siege. The RenWerX game combines exhilarating freedom of movement with team-oriented gameplay to immerse its players in fantastic new worlds without limits.

Zio – FPS+Z games typically use jetpacks to propel players through the air and across extreme terrain in a variety of game-types such as CTF, Rabbit, and Siege. and............ This statement by using the word “typically” alludes to the idea that they are going to be something different than the “typical” FPS+Z game, breaking out of the box. But they aren’t. Why say it at all?

REN - RenWerX Project Lead, Nick "Novanix" Daum explains, "Some folks have played games like this in the past, but the vast majority of online gamers are still out there slogging it for miles across boring terrain. These gamers are going to find a liberating new experience thanks to the FPS+Z gameplay in Ascension.”

Zio – Or they could play T1 T2 (which are also free) or T:V. Do I really have to remind REN that they are NOT pioneering the FPS+Z axis game? You are not doing ANYTHING NEW!!!

REN - In addition to the change of name, the RenWerX Development Team is excited to announce it has reached a major milestone for Ascension. The game has been successfully ported to the brand new Torque Shader Engine (TSE) from Garage Games. To coincide with this milestone, RenWerX has released a Tech Preview Video, which shows off some FPS+Z action from the upcoming release.

Zio – If what was released is a major milestone, there is no hope for this project. What was released was laughable. From this, it sounds what is being shown is what the final game will be like. Nothing was said here about how incomplete the game is. It’s funny we hear about those details now after they released their preview.

REN - RenWerX Level Design Lead, Jesse "Calsa" McKinney enthuses, "TSE gives an incredible look and feel to the game. We’ve been waiting a long time for this, and anyone wondering about the future of online PC games will be stunned by the immersive quality of the worlds crafted in TSE. The TSE is synonymous with exciting gameplay and award-winning netcode. Now that we finally have the engine, our development goals are being reached at a frenetic pace.”

Zio – Wow, Calsa sounds really pumped here and he’s right about TSE. It’s a great engine and in the right hands capable of amazing things. Just look at what GG were able to do in 4 weeks! Calsa also states that REN’s “development goals are being reached at a frenetic pace” that sounds to me that this preview is going to kick major ass. After reading that, it sounds like the game is almost complete!

How this article should have gone is like this...

We have some exciting development news and we’d like to share it with the Tribes enthusiasts community.

We have a much better name for the game we are producing. It’s called Ascension. Volitant Assualt sucked and we knew it. We are also launching a new website to support the game.

What we are really excited about is we have made the change to GG’s TSE engine! There’s a lot of work still to be done but we have a very early build of the game working on TSE. This is a big milestone for our team.

We have assembled a preview of the game running on TSE. As you’ll be able to see, the game is in a VERY VERY early state, most objects aren’t even textured yet! But we wanted to show the community that progress is being made and we are making every effort to make our game. The preview of the game is in no way a depiction of how the game will play or look like when it’s complete.

We hope you appreciate our efforts and are looking forward to our game. We’d also like to mention that if you can contribute to the game we would love to hear from you. There’s still a TON of work that needs to be done.

Ren team.

Nefilim said:
it's just too bad he is such a giant douchebag who has 10x the ego than he does talent.

I don't think you should be talking about ego.

Mr... I don't want anyone re-making one of my maps. Afraid of being out done? ;)

Colosus said:
I won't quote you Zio, but Bra-fucking-vo. Exactly what I was thinking when I read it as well.
Yep, the review coupled with the video is made worse by the fact that the team's PR dept supposedly has people actually majoring in PR or some such. It wouldn't have taken any education at all for a lot of people to write a better announcement than that. And a vid filled with untextured buildings? Common sense people.

RenWerX totally blew their first impression with this release.

Back