Network card not connecting to internet!

Blastek

Veteran X
Doubt anyone can fix this but I'll give it a shot before starting from scratch.

So my brother's computer has a sis900 on-board ethernet card which mysteriously stopped working like 6 months ago. Nothing was installed, or deleted it just stopped working mid-surfing. No matter what I tried it would not connect to the network/internet despite the fact that there are no errors/visible conflicts. You can see that it is sending packets, but it does not receive them. I finally gave in after trying pretty much everything I could think of and put in an old PCI ethernet card which worked fine for the last 6 months. However, in the middle of a cs game it did the exact same thing as the previous lan card. Again: no new hardware or software. And it's doing the same shit again now. anyone have any ideas?

Tried and failed:
removing/reinstalling lan card and respective software
winsock fix
virus/spyware removal to the maxx
updating/rolling back all drivers
safe mode w/networking
moving PCI card to different slots

this is really pissing me off.

For what it's worth the SIS900 Chipset was natorious for losing it's MAC Address and reverting to all zeros 00-00-00-00-00-00

In many cases it would still work behind a router cause the packets leaving the router were being encapsulated with the MAC of the WAN Port on the router and not the bad MAC.

In cases without a router it just wouldn't work because the first hop treated 0 MAC's as junk and dropped the packets, in which case you could send traffic but nothing ever comes back.

Uninstalling the drivers and install the offical ones from SiS.com corrected the problems for me.

The fact that you replaced the card and still have problems, I would check out Bart's PE Builder and boot from CD into a PE environment to see if it still doesn't work to rule out hardware and blame windows.

Edit: I could also be reading way to much into the problem and you have a bad router

If you had Knoppix or Mepis Live CD to boot from that'd be great too. I've had my share of SiS900 problems, having to replace entire motherboard just becuase onboard SiS900 NIC stopped working. In your case however, I'd also do TCP/IP reinstall, just in case.

Back