Need ideas for a game to buy...

Stratman

Veteran X
So I'm taking a week of holidays at the end of the month and I want to play a really great game. The only games I've played since T2 came out (and I left university) are NWN, age of mythology and savage. All of which were quite dissapointing (NWN was the best but the single player was just too boring...I've heard the expansions are much better).

As you can tell I haven't played many and I'm open to just about anything...I really just want a totally enthralling story and fun game play. Single player is probably best as I don't want to have to find people to help me all the time. I prefer mythical fantasy type games but wouldn't mind a good army/covert operations style game either.

You heard right, the expansions for NWN pretty much own the original game (which was horrendous). They're both quite long for expansions, and they have a lot of replayability (each quest can be solved differently depending on your alignment AND your class - and there are a lot of quests).

If you like stealth games, give Thief: Deadly Shadows for PC a try. Very good game also, provided you like the genre.

Stratman said:
do I need to finish NWN to get the story behind the expansions? Which is the better expansion?

Nah.
The expansions have nothing to do with NwN. There will be a couple of references to the "Hero that cured the plague of NeverWinter" but that's it.
Out of the two, Hordes of the Underdark is the best. It's got epic written all over it, and it's not Dave G kinda epic, it's LOTR kind of epic (that expansion introduces levels 20-40, so you're basically a bad mofo).

I would recommend getting both if you can though. HotU takes place shortly after Shadows of Undrentide, but there are very few references to it (although it's kind of cool to just port your SoU character over).
I liked the story of SoU better, but HotU is just a lot more "cinematic" (and that's because they managed to make ingame cinematics through scripting). HotU's quests and scripts are much better than SoU's and it's pretty original at times. SoU is more adventure whereas HotU is more action, although you are very rarely forced to fight.
(And in HotU you can have 2 henchmen + your pet)

I mean, I hated the NwN campaign. It blew, but these 2 expansions are really really good (and if you like NwN MP, they open up a lot of scripting options for great DMed games or PWs).

maybe I'll try this then. It sounds like a winner and I can borrow it from a friend I know who has played and finished it.

BF:V is nothing like counter strike, I dont know how all of you keep saying that.
It obvious that CS is a timer you all wait, choose a weapon and proceed to knock off other team by elemination or bomb plant. there is very little area you can go and the maps suck ass, they are weak and so mid 90's.

BF:V, FarCry and Joint Operation are games that have a vast playing field, you still choose weapons when you want to but the game play is much deeper, the maps are far better, and they are NOTHING like Counter strike, besides the fact that one team wins and one team loses in the end.

NWN was designed to be a multiplayer game ...

It's Online Persistant Worlds are either really good or really sucky ...
Problem is you don't know which until a few weeks in ...

Screw BF:V and FarCry ...
These games suck ... I DONT KNOW WHY THEY JUST DO

RoN <333
thats where the love is

Th3Cleaner said:
BF:V is nothing like counter strike, I dont know how all of you keep saying that.
It obvious that CS is a timer you all wait, choose a weapon and proceed to knock off other team by elemination or bomb plant. there is very little area you can go and the maps suck ass, they are weak and so mid 90's.

BF:V, FarCry and Joint Operation are games that have a vast playing field, you still choose weapons when you want to but the game play is much deeper, the maps are far better, and they are NOTHING like Counter strike, besides the fact that one team wins and one team loses in the end.
The guns are just like cs you wacko

Back