Need help to bridge two routers

Xefe

Veteran-5
Looking to bridge a wrt54g v2.0 with a 2wire 3801HGV (att).
I think 'bridge' is the term I am looking for. I dont think I want to repeat the signal as this supposedly cuts the throughput in half. (maybe I could repeat and use seperate channels ? )

Purpose to blanket an area with a stronger wireless signal. And give me a few hardwired ports inside a specific area.

The 2wire is primary wrt54 = slave/secondary.

Would like to keep it on the same subnet so that all file sharing and what not is consistent.

Can anyone provide me with a step by step ?

just turn off DHCP server on the linksys, setup the wireless on it, then connect the ethernet cable from the att router to one of the switch ports on the linksys (NOT THE WAN/INTERNET PORT). This should make the linksys act like a switch that also has wireless. You also will want to set the management IP for the linksys to something static that is on the same subnet as the att router, but not the same IP, and outside of your ATT DHCP pool.
You don't even need to bridge them. Also, turn off all of the firewall shit on the linksys, but it should not really matter if you connect the cable from the att to a switch port on the linksys.

All you have to do is turn off DHCP on the linksys, plug the ATT router/ modem into a regular LAN port not the internet port on the back of the linksys. Also make sure that the ATT router and linksys routers have different IP addresses. Boom, your linksys router is now an access point and takes all command from ATT router.

If he isn't or doesn't want to run the cable - he needs to do it wirelessly.

I got the impression that he didn't want to run cable or couldn't.

Obviously the easiest to do would run a wire to the area you want to extend - plug AP in - disable DHCP etc.

Back