Need help from TW engineers

Mjolnir

Veteran XV
This is a blatant beg for someone to do some research for me.

I've got a reference in some scientific literature that cites Wylie, CR., Barrett, LC. Advanced Engineering Mathematics. 6th ed, 1995. pp 328-337. The problem is that I only have the 9th edition, and our library doesn't have the older editions, and I need to know what's on those pages.

Does anyone have a copy of this book, and could you send me some screenshots or just tell me what topic they discuss there?

Sorry, can't bribe you with pictures of naked women, this is work after all. Thanks.

Last edited:
uh what's the context for the reference, I doubt that version has a special topic not found in the text you have.

Here you go for all you nerds looking to solve a problem :sunny::

An air washer is run under test to determine the mass-transfer coefficient of the water droplets, HdAv. Moist air enters at 101.325 kPa, 40 deg C, and 20% relative humidity at the face velocity of 3 m/s. The washer has a face area of 4 m^2 and a length of 2 m. The water temperature in the washer is 22 deg C and the exit-air dry-bulb temperature is 30 deg C. Determine the value of the mass-transfer coeeficient of the water droplets, HdAv, for this washer.

Spoiler

edit: yes I'm bored at work and I had a text book from last quarter lying around

Thanks a lot, I may do that.

The exact problem is the estimation of precision for intensity, width, and position of a peak, using parameter determination (such as centroid method), assuming that peak shape is not know. I didn't find any material in the 9th edition that specifically addressed that topic.

I didn't include the details because I assumed that the topic was specialized enough that I couldn't get an answer directly. It's also not for a class, I'm preparing a scientific paper for work.

They do have it the contents on those pages include

questions from 5.2 Numerical methods
5.3 Interpretation formulas
ie. Newtons divided-difference formula, Lagrange's Interpretation formula, forward-Gregory-Newton Interpretation formula et al.
and the exercise questions for 5.3

?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Last edited:
It's also not for a class, I'm preparing a scientific paper for work.
I used to fix computers for Rockwell International (well, Rockwell Research) and remember they had a mind boggling library. Just looking at the spines of the books on the shelves set your eyes spinning.

:lol:

Back