My internet connection is possessed

iNSaNiTy

Veteran X
New Zealand is the home of shitty internet, and I have a 256k cable connection with a 10gb traffic limit for which I pay roughly US$45 a month for.

Anyway. My PC is such a piece of shit that my laptop is faster than my PC (XP1800, 256mb RAM vs 1.6M, 512mb RAM). I happened to get my hands on a port replicator for my laptop, so I decided to try using my laptop as my main rig via the port replicator. I noticed last night that suddenly I'm downloading at nearly 900kB/s, instead of the usual 30kB/s. I figured someone at my ISP had fucked something up and uncapped my connection (as regularly happens in this country with DSL, virtually never with cable but shrug). I had to get something off my desktop just now, and I checked my connection speed while on that just see. 30kB/s. Back to laptop. 900kB/s.

What the FUCK, this is sweet, but does anyone have ANY idea why this could be happening? The cable speed is rate limited via a DOCSIS based Motorola modem, then verified against the speed at the ISP, and as far as I've known short of getting someone at the ISP with hook-ups to change the speed no one really 'hacks' their speed up like I've heard is common (?) in the US, so this is exceptionally weird.

But also exceptionally cool.

Pure insanity.

Dunno, maybe they are working on the network and its a temp thing or someone made a mistake that will be corrected soon.

Last edited:
Our bugs aren't that big, generally I see you guys post a lot more big creepy bugs than we have.

Weta's are neat though

Plate17.jpg

iNSaNiTy said:
New Zealand is the home of shitty internet, and I have a 256k cable connection with a 10gb traffic limit for which I pay roughly US$45 a month for.

And to think I used to like New Zealand.

It's simple.

Your laptop is miscalculating connection speed.

Run a 3rd-party speedtest.

Data said:
It's simple.

Your laptop is miscalculating connection speed.

Run a 3rd-party speedtest.

or if it really is getting that much better connection you might want to check the drivers on your network card.

Back