My flash project part II

WSDL is a webservice. Basically when you get your stocks from etrade they connect to a wsdl source. Its a free webservice from the nyse that updates stocks on a 15 minute delay. It only takes about 5 minutes to add it to a flash document and run.

The service that im talkign about is CDDB, sorry took me awhile to remember it. Its the one that can identify songs off a cd by the total length and whatnot. I belive its a free WSDL.

The hardest problem for all this to work is getting flash to read the cd, that is the only wall i can see for it, since for security reasons something prevents flash from accessing it. But something like that working is very impressive. When someone hiring sees you using remote sources like that to full effect it would have a very positive outcome.

The fact you have been doing this for only a few weeks is pretty good. Just remember though that your gonna have to relearn everything soon. Actionscript 1.0 is on the way out the door.

Get mx 2004 working and start using AS 2.0. Full fledged object orientated programing. Flash is definitly not a toy anymore 2.0 is fucking retarded shit. Code in that runs so much faster. My friend at work is finishing the legend of zelda. He recreated the entire zelda game from snes in flash, It has no loads like the game though its all one giant area cept houses and such. It also runs at 30fps while loading imported content(every tile, about 400 of them). I belive the map is a 5 layered multidimensional array with over 10,000 entrys. Oh and it retrieves it from an sql db :p

Im not trying to compare anything with skill here this guy has been doing this shit for years. I just wanted to give a reference to what AS 2.0 is capable of.

WSDL is an xml file but you dont need to know anything about XML for it. You just import the file and it shows what parameters can be changed inside flash.

Is it possible to make the lowest bitrate 24kbps because most 56k modems can only reach 24k until they need to constantly need buffering.

Another nice feature would be a small display showing current bbps and track.

Other then that, i like it.

PigontheWing said:
WSDL is a webservice. Basically when you get your stocks from etrade they connect to a wsdl source. Its a free webservice from the nyse that updates stocks on a 15 minute delay. It only takes about 5 minutes to add it to a flash document and run.

The service that im talkign about is CDDB, sorry took me awhile to remember it. Its the one that can identify songs off a cd by the total length and whatnot. I belive its a free WSDL.

The hardest problem for all this to work is getting flash to read the cd, that is the only wall i can see for it, since for security reasons something prevents flash from accessing it. But something like that working is very impressive. When someone hiring sees you using remote sources like that to full effect it would have a very positive outcome.

The fact you have been doing this for only a few weeks is pretty good. Just remember though that your gonna have to relearn everything soon. Actionscript 1.0 is on the way out the door.

Get mx 2004 working and start using AS 2.0. Full fledged object orientated programing. Flash is definitly not a toy anymore 2.0 is fucking retarded shit. Code in that runs so much faster. My friend at work is finishing the legend of zelda. He recreated the entire zelda game from snes in flash, It has no loads like the game though its all one giant area cept houses and such. It also runs at 30fps while loading imported content(every tile, about 400 of them). I belive the map is a 5 layered multidimensional array with over 10,000 entrys. Oh and it retrieves it from an sql db :p

Im not trying to compare anything with skill here this guy has been doing this shit for years. I just wanted to give a reference to what AS 2.0 is capable of.

jesus christ. that is just godly! beyond impressive hahaha

i was just checking out SOAP, WSDL & CDDB. I'll write that down and look into it right after i get everything working with what i have listed and want in there.

:bigthumb::bigthumb: we will talk more often :)

Last edited:
CDDB

Compact Disc Database

Nice work Sarca. I'm enjoying some phat thug beatz right now.

No problem man. Like i said i dont wanna compare people. That guy at work is a coding god. I dont know anyone better than him and thats why he gets paid what he gets paid. LOL oh ya the reason why its in an SQL db just to make it even more insane is that he designed it so you can actually go in and design your own levels in it and save them for others to play lol.

That wsdl feature i mentioned may not be the most intresesting tool to most but someone who hires people that has a development background would know the skills that are involved in such an undertaking. But since your new to flash i highly suggest you dive into 2.0 fast and hard since you seem to have a knack for coding in general.

Good luck man i mean it. You have some good skills and they will only get better.

PigontheWing said:
No problem man. Like i said i dont wanna compare people. That guy at work is a coding god. I dont know anyone better than him and thats why he gets paid what he gets paid. LOL oh ya the reason why its in an SQL db just to make it even more insane is that he designed it so you can actually go in and design your own levels in it and save them for others to play lol.

That wsdl feature i mentioned may not be the most intresesting tool to most but someone who hires people that has a development background would know the skills that are involved in such an undertaking. But since your new to flash i highly suggest you dive into 2.0 fast and hard since you seem to have a knack for coding in general.

Good luck man i mean it. You have some good skills and they will only get better.
to be fair, i've tooled with flash for a good while, but i never ever really tried to grab any sort of concept up until a few weeks back. :)

now it's on!, for me :D

PigontheWing, now in the process of creating a 2 dimensional table read from a txt file, to hold all info needed to gather the shizzle to play the files. (might have to go 3 dimensional, dunno yet)

can you say 'pain in the assssssss' doh! weeeeeeeeee

edit: i might just throw this into a mysql db and use php. oh man...i am making this complicated lolz

Last edited:
Back