Music mixed in 5.1

soundjester

Veteran XV
So, I know there are people here who have ungodly surround sound systems and listen to music mixed in 5.1. It is sex for your ears. If you have not done this, then you should, as it is an experience that will change your life. forever and ever. amen.

anyway. I am looking for some 5.1 music and wondered if anyone cared to mention some of their favorites. Or where you go to get said aural secks.

I have Hotel California and Queen's The Game on DTS audio and you're right: They're sex for your ears. The Queen DVD is great, but the mix on the Eagles disc is phenomenal.

The Dolby True HD track on the hd-dvd version of Nine Inch Nails:Live Beside You in Time is the best sounding 5.1 live performance I've ever heard. If you have either an hd-dvd or Blu Ray player, I highly recommend it. I'm not really a Nine Inch Nails fan, but the audio quality is so good that It's become my favorite disk to pop in for a quick blast of uncompressed audio bliss.

So I take it this has to be produced/put on media in a specific way to get the full effect of 5.1? Like I'm not just gonna throw any random CD in a 5.1 and expect it to sound any different- right?

Dream Theater's new CD (the special edition) has a version in 5.1, it comes out June 5th (the regular version is "out" though if you want to see if you like it).

Back