Multifunction/All in One Printer

Tatiyana

Veteran X
I had an Epson RX 600 for a few years ( I want to say it is nearly 3 years old, but could be wrong). The LCD screen went blank (which I found is a common problem), which hasn't rendered it totally useless, but copying becomes more laborious. Since the holidays are coming, I figured I'd do some research and see if I can find another printer that can be purchased for a birthday/christmas gift.

My needs:
Print photos (up to 8x11) in good to high quality.
Multicartridge
Copies black and white and color without the need for the computer to be on
Scans at 4800dpi (in process of scanning photos, need highest quality possible)

Wants (but not necessary)
Fax
media card reader
Negative scanner

Any recommendations? I don't really care about the brand, this Epson served me well, so I'm willing to go with them again.

Thanks.

I got a HP C5180 which does the business for me, photo's are especially good.

No fax or negative scanner though, but it has an ethernet interface which I always think is nice!

deskwrit.jpg

I had an epson CX4600 all-in-one thing a few years ago. The ink was pretty expensive, and something about the ink made it get clogged up if you didn't print every day, so it would use up a good bit of ink trying to clear it the next time you printed something.
The scanner on it worked alright though...

Just know that using non-Canon inks, this goes for any manufacturers, voids your warranty.

It is a very easy process(at least for cannons) that would not hurt your printer. Next time you are at a store that has ink look at the canon cartridges.

I'm not talking about diy shit you buy at wal-mart. There are places that refill ink-cartridges. Island Ink-Jet comes to mind. It's okay though you can go ahead and pay out your ass every time when instead you could be cutting down on waste and saving money. Oh while you are at it don't forget to replace your mach 3 blades. Catch my drift?

Epson printers are terrible because there ink is pigmented.

Last edited:
It is a very easy process(at least for cannons) that would not hurt your printer. Next time you are at a store that has ink look at the canon cartridges.

I'm not talking about diy shit you buy at wal-mart. There are places that refill ink-cartridges. Island Ink-Jet comes to mind. It's okay though you can go ahead and pay out your ass every time when instead you could be cutting down on waste and saving money. Oh while you are at it don't forget to replace your mach 3 blades. Catch my drift?

Lower end models, yes. Mine was dye based. As are some of the others I've looked at.

And I buy my ink from ABC ink when they have sales...I spend about $40 for 2 sets of cartridges, or about $3 a cartridge. Usually generic, but they seem to last longer than the brand name. And hasn't ruined my printer.

You're better off getting a separate printer and scanner.

I don't have enough room on my desk. Bad enough I have a fax machine as well as the printer.

This has served me well. I see no reason why I need to have separate ones, since this printer has a 4800dpi scanner, negative scanner, and the multicartridge. I scanned and printed wedding pictures with this and they came out looking better than my in-laws separate system. My step mother-in-law had to buy a new scanner and maybe a new printer because the quality just wasn't there, and she will end up spending more than I will on the AIO.

This is what I have. I bought it on sale about a year ago. It's the best investment I've made as a Graphic Design Major.
Pixma MP500 - the scanning could be better but with Photoshop thats not really an issue.
pixma_mp500.jpg

I'm not talking about DIY'ers either, using an ink cartridge that is refilled, or using a 3rd party ink cartridge will disqualify your printer for service should it ever need to be repaired.

canons suck, go stick with the epson for the photos for what your looking for.

you can go with the new rx595 or the rx680(i think is the new one)

we just got them at work and both are sweet machines.

Back