MSI K8D Master-F

jb_

Veteran X
Is anyone familiar with this board? It's model number is MS-9131. I'm on my second one here, and unfortunately I can't fully test everything due to a lack of equipment.

Within 10 seconds of powering up, it emits a noise roughly like a Parisian police car. It will do this regardless of whether I'm using both processors, or each processor individually. MSI's troubleshooting page doesn't help much here. They only mention one tone like this, whose meaning is an overheating chip. I have trouble believing this.

The ram purchased has been tested in other systems. Unfortunately, we don't have another SSI (24-pin) based motherboard to test the power supply, nor do we have another Opteron system to test the processors.

Is there something I'm missing?

I have no idea what a Parisian police car sounds like. Is the sound coming from the PC speaker? Sometimes PSU fans can make some pretty fucked up noises when they get old. How far does the computer get into the boot process? Are you experienced at building computers and know how to properly mount motherboards and heatsinks, etc.? (I assume so, but just making sure.)

Think european cop car. The noise definitely comes from the piezo onboard; covering the hole practically makes the noise disappear. The power supply is also brand-new. This is supposed to be our new file storage/cvs server.

I'm onto something; from what I've read, the manual dropped the word required from it's mentioning of Registered ECC DDR ram. I'm running to the shop on my lunchbreak and picking some up.

(as for your other concerns, I spent a couple of years back home working in a PC shop. I'm seriously out of date on some of the newer stuff, but the ideas are still the same)

http://www.gky.com.au/c/gky?a=da&did=20000000

What types of memory do Opterons require? (TOP)
Opteron processors require registered ECC DDR RAM as opposed to common DDR RAM which can be used with AMD Athlon 64 systems. 940 pin Athlon FX processors also required registered ECC DDR RAM, since these processors are based on the 1xx series Opterons albeit with unlocked multipliers.
"Registered ECC" memory features additional registers and error correcting checksum functionality over standard DDR RAM. As the Opteron line of processors is primarily targeted towards business users, AMD has chosen to make this less error prone memory type a requirement.

Yeah, I came to that conclusion myself.

What can I say, I'm a retard. Thanky though, Ix.

Back