[Moving Out] 30 days (halp?)

Defaced

Veteran X
So I guess due to the fact that I have no lease I need only to give 30 days notice. I'm not sure if it needs to be written but I am going to go that route to be safe.

But what do I include in this sort of notice? I've never "vacated a rental dwelling" before and I'm not sure what I need to put in here to cover my bases.

The landlord was generally nice while I was living here. Except when I approached him to talk about this earlier today and he basically tried to tell me, "no you can't move out."

When I first moved in he asked for the last two months rent along with the first month and no deposit. (Apparently against the rules) Since I was expecting to sign a lease I didn't really think twice about it at the time. Then I gave him post-dated cheques until the end of May. Said lease, however, never made an appearance.

In a best case scenario I would move out by the end of Feb with my $400 (extra months rent) back and all my post dated cheques. The way this is going now I expect to have to let him keep the extra $400, live here until March and go to the bank to put a stop-payment on this extra cheques.

Actually, 30 days from now is March anyway, given the fact that Feb is so goddamn short.

Anyway, what do you put in this sort of notice?

Back