[Moving] Anyone here from Dallas TX area?

BigWorm

Big Perm²
Veteran X
My work has opportunities open in McKinney. Housing is damn cheap there and I would like to escape Southern California while I still have my sanity.

What's it like? Looks like there is lots of golfing which is nice. Good place to raise a family?

Meh. McKinney is decent, but a longish trip from downtown Dallas. McKinney is also a small town that is probably expanding a bit more rapidly than it can handle.

You won't have to worry about mudslides, fires or earthquakes tho. :shrug:

My main concern is housing costs. For 300k, I could get a nice size home. In SoCal, 300k gets you nothing. My fiancee also hates LA and wants to get out.

Our combined income is about 100k/year.

Eww LA

McKinney is a nice suburb, but if you work near downtown Dallas its FAR. 300k will get a decent home here, unlike LA.

Dallas is a huge change over LA, though.

My Dad just recently moved there. Personally, I think it sucks there; but in fairness I have only been there for a few months at a time.

Probably a good place to raise a family though.

I just moved to the mid cities area (North Richland Hills) and have enjoyed my stay thus far.

Eww LA

McKinney is a nice suburb, but if you work near downtown Dallas its FAR. 300k will get a decent home here, unlike LA.

Huh. Dallas is as close to L.A and Orange County as you can get. Mckinney, Frisco, Plano are like typical L.A. suburbs. Lots of nice houses, nice cars, and pretty good restaurants. I grew up in Pasadena and Frisco, Mckinney, and surrounding areas remind me of it. I paid $288K in Frisco for a 4000 sf house on a golf course. 4BR, 4BA, Multi Level theater room, game room, LR, Family room with 30 ft ceilings, DR and Kitchen. $300K will get you an incredible house. In Dallas in general you will see blond, fake boobed women everywhere, driving nice cars with their Louis Vuitton or Gucci purses.

It is not far. It takes about 45 minutes to get from McKinney to Dallas. While that may be far in TX terms have you ever been on the 405?

If I had to do it over again I would live in Southlake, Colleyville, Frisco, or Plano.

Typical $300K home in Mckinney
Single Family Home - 303 Appalachian Way, Mckinney, TX, 75071 - Realtor.com

Remember you will pay no income tax here, but will pay around 3% property taxes ($9,000 on a $300,000 house)

Last edited:
My work has opportunities open in McKinney. Housing is damn cheap there and I would like to escape Southern California while I still have my sanity.

What's it like? Looks like there is lots of golfing which is nice. Good place to raise a family?

Do you work with Movielink.com?

Do you work with Movielink.com?

Nope, engineer for Raytheon. They have a large facility in McKinney.

With my salary, I just can't afford a decent home in California and I don't want to struggle with money. $300k for a 4000 sq. ft. home sounds pretty damn good to me. Especially if it is on a golf course.

I've lived in CA (LA and central coast) my whole life and will definitely miss the weather, surfing, and snowboarding. I will not miss the overpopulation and ridiculous cost of living though.

Don't move to Dallas. Buy a house in McKinney, Allen, or a smaller town like Melissa.

Little or no traffic, nice areas, probably much cheaper homes. 300K buys a real nice house out here.

It is not far. It takes about 45 minutes to get from McKinney to Dallas. While that may be far in TX terms have you ever been on the 405?

Ugh, the 405. That freeway leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I battle it everyday on my drive home from work.

Eww LA

I live in McKinney, my girlfriend works in downtown, is about a 35 mile drive to downtown. She leaves the house at 6am to be there at 7 am.

Back