Mountain House Update

KingSobieski

Veteran XX
Idk I made a post about repairing some floor joists and it turned into a pseudo remodel. One thing leads to the next etc. We're at paint stage now. Unfortunately the cabinets and countertops are different it's been that way for 20years and no one remembers why.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I got that Tiffany light from a Craigslist guy for $10. I'd like to do a green countertop to match it

I got a 70pt dehumidifier and wanted it to run constantly but in the middle of the house, so I glued up some 1/2" PVC pipe and cut a hole in the floor and ran the pipe out to the creek.

While I was under the house, I saw that the center support beam is absolutely fucked and broken and sort of shook my confidence in working on the house. Like, it's clearly broken in half, rotted out, completely smashed, just straight fucked. Which is why none of the doors actually close.

Thought about it a bit, I'd have to knock out the block wall around the crawl space and drag in an I beam and some concrete blocks to set it up on. Some bottle Jack's etc to switch the load from the old support beam to the new one.

Last edited:
You say mountain house to obfuscate that this shithole is your primary residence right

The walls are built thin with the 2x4 in the 'hot dog' position instead of the 'hamburger' position. Idk why. Some drunk hillbillies did it. Regardless, the window framing didn't fit the wall so with the trim on there was a huge gap that had been previously stuffed with insulation.

My solution was to use 3/4 plywood, spaced on 1/2 blocks,and drywalled, to build a casing to match the window framing to get the trim on.

Last edited:

I found some rot in the wall framing and replaced it with this deck board I found in the shed.

I also had to build a new window sill.

I'm bad at before pictures. There was peeling floral wallpaper and brick patterned vinyl floor.

Your place looks comfy. Cant wait to see outcome of your project. I have cabinets kinda like those. They are cool. :sunny:

Spoiler

Spoiler

EDIT: Both are pics from summer, or two ago. Have nice gold colored blackout curtains on the front windows now. Have the light fixture that goes above sink but haven't installed it yet. Where sheetrock is will eventually install grayish stone or brick. Still need to get stainless steel microwave and fridge. Also need to get and install the bronze ceiling tile (real not the fake shit).

Renters are lucky. Owning costs a lot and is responsibility ++.

Last edited:

The walls are built thin with the 2x4 in the 'hot dog' position instead of the 'hamburger' position. Idk why. Some drunk hillbillies did it. Regardless, the window framing didn't fit the wall so with the trim on there was a huge gap that had been previously stuffed with insulation.

My solution was to use 3/4 plywood, spaced on 1/2 blocks,and drywalled, to build a casing to match the window framing to get the trim on.

Are you saying you're not a drunk hillbilly?

You keep a sheep in your kitchen? Are those things potty trained? Do you give it dog food?

He is not a sheep. He is Monster Dogg Supreme. He's potty trained. Been my doggy friend since 2011 and not once has pissed or took a dump in the house. Yeah he eats dog food but I bake him a chicken every so often like Micheal used to. He is 15 years old this year and is a good boy.

Spoiler

Back