Monitor Thread

EyeZ

Veteran X
I know we've had plenty of these, but I didn't do my homework and cant remember what they decided. Did a lazy search and didn't find anything incredibly relevant.

I'm upgrading from a decent (for free standards) flat-screen double TV setup to a curved widescreen for $600 or less. Things that I have in mind include:
144Hz refresh
IPS
1440p
Freesync
more than 29''

I have a R9 390x, so i understand that the 144Hz might be a bit overkill, but I dont want to need to upgrade my monitor for a couple cards at least. I prefer IPS, mainly due to the curve nature and not wanting to have a noticeable color transition on the edges if i lean one way or another for whatever reason. Couldn't say for sure tbh, never had a curved monitor before.

Been skimming around when i could today, and keep landing back on this particular monitor:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UC79G-B-34-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01LW5CGIS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1519320528&sr=8-2&keywords=lg+34uc79g-b
The crosshair feature is non relevant and isn't a deciding factor one way or the other.

What monitors are you guys currently rocking, and which one's if any would you suggest aside from the obligatory $2k+ that will be pointed out.

Looks like a slick monitor. I'm rocking the Dell S2716DG right now and like it. Your only other options right now are really the Acer or ASUS faux IPS 27 inchers.

my dream monitor is still not on the horizon :(

infinite contrast (OLED or emissive QLED)
120hz+
over 32"
gsync

I'm still rocking a Dell ips from like ten years ago. Not gonna upgrade till there's a cheaper widescreen gsync

Monitor_(comics)

I'm still rocking a Dell ips from like ten years ago. Not gonna upgrade till there's a cheaper widescreen gsync

ya i have an ancient 30" dell and have no reason to upgrade. all the current monitors still stuck on the same shit contrast ratios.

So is this 1440p@144hz for movies? Bc no games are going to be going at that spec with your AMD 390x. I have a AMD 480x and 1080p@144 takes some fanegaling at times

Like i said, i would rather have the upgrade room, then second guess getting a better card(s) in the future because my monitor couldn't make full use of them. I also havent been able to make use of my Freesync, which should keep my card from overworking itself to push out the 144Hz.

Well, freesync is $150 cheaper then gsync, true. However, AMD sucks ass at high end cards. AMD competes with nvidia 1060s and below, the 1070 and 1080 range are dominant over vega. The 580s run hot as hell for only a few % better. Lets up the 680s and 690s offer good performance.

im still using 1080 for my pc...144hz and and gsync

the entire purpose of 144hz is a smoother experience
the entire purpose of gsync or freesync is to syn the refresh rate with the framerate.

so if you're buying a 144hz monitor to freesync it to a bad video card and play at 60fps, you may as well have a 60hz monitor...and for that matter vsync to 60

long story short, if you want a 1440 res, will you avg at 144 fps?
do you prefer a higher res or a smoother experience?

Freesync is a much better experience than Gsync. It is known.

The only cases in which VEGA fails to meet or beat the 1080 are in nvidia gameworks titles like The Witcher 3. VEGA shits all over the 1070 and 1080 sometimes even matching the 1080ti. rev_knight has no idea what he is talking about. AMDs FineWine™ moniker ain't for nothing.

Nvidia GameWorks - Wikipedia
GameWorks has been criticized for its proprietary and closed nature.[3] Competing GPU manufacturers such as AMD and Intel are unable to properly optimize Nvidia's libraries for their hardware due to both themselves and developers not being allowed to see the code necessary to properly optimize their products.[4][5] AMD Chief Gaming Scientist, Richard Huddy, has claimed that developers who use GameWorks are contractually forbidden to work with AMD.[2] He also claims that GameWorks adds specific performance-crippling effects for older Nvidia cards, such as unnecessary tessellation, which only marginally affects their own more recent cards.[6] In 2014 AMD was considering making an open source GameWorks competitor,[7] which was released as GPUOpen in December 2015.

The VEGA 7nm refresh is rolling out later this year. You'll probably have to get lucky and find one at whatever store you have locally (Frys/microcenter/bestbuy).

Spoiler

Im not looking for 144Hz to specifically downthrottle it, im looking to not have to worry about my monitor for a good long while. Whats the point of investing in a nice monitor with the price range i have if it becomes a factor when i go to upgrade my card or add another other?

What is the problem with 29:1 ratio? I dont have alot of personal experience with monitors, with this being the first one i make a targeted purchase of. Ive always just used whatever i had lying around. Right now i have 2 low end flatscreen tvs, which look nice, but are noticable when it comes to gaming. I want a wisescreen to eliminate the 2 screens if possible, but if i can get 2 smaller monitors that push out better specs and have just as mich wiggle room for expansion at the same price range, im all ears. I dont think i could go back to using a single smaller monitor after having so much real estate for so long.

A 390X should have no trouble playing any game at 100fps+ with sub-max image quality settings. My 290x was able to manage this feat in GTA5, a game which bottlenecks a 1080ti with a 5GHz 7700k.

Just turn shit down until you get the experience you desire.

Last edited:
Back