Monitor goes into powersave, won't come out

m0nKeY

Veteran X
I recently bought a Dell 1704FPT lcd monitor and ever since I have had problems while playing games.

I will be playing Battlefield 2 and my monitor will randomly go into "Powersave mode". It will not come out of it, no matter what I do.

I turned off all power saving features in display properties, reinstalled my video card drivers (ATI x700 pro, pci express), and installed monitor drivers but none of that fixed it.

I switched to the analog cable to see if that makes a difference, but I doubt it will.

What do you guys think?

Did you change resolutions or any graphics settings? Sounds like a common problem with ATI cards, but it wouldn't make sense that a new monitor alone would trigger it.

are you sure it actually goes into powersave mode or is your computer fucking up and locking up?

Well when it first started happening I could alt tab, ctrl-alt-delete, etc and my monitor would come back on then I could go back into the game and all would be fine. Now it seems like theres nothing I can do to turn it back on and after a minute or two of no display, the computer reboots.

Oh and I put the monitor on the analog cable and it hasn't happened yet. I'd like to run it on DVI, so what do you think the problem is? Heating, power supply, hardware issue?

Thanks

Well, the computer is making the same calculations and the vid card is sending the exact same signal to both ports in either case, so it's probably not overheating. Could be a faulty DVI output on your card or a driver bug.

Back