Modem Problems

Ghetto

Veteran X
I recently moved my whole system into a new case and put in a new video card. But ever since I switched the system over to the new machine it wont dial to the internet, it starts to dial but just sits there with a dial tone. Doesnt attempt to dial or anything, and was first giving me the error:

"777 - The connection attempt failed because the modem (or other connecting device) on the remote computer is out of order."

But I messed with a few settings and its just giving me the error: "No Dial Tone."

So far I have tried reseating the modem, a new modem, deleting the connection and making a new one, system restore, reinstalling the modem, and reinstalling it w/ out drivers, but nothing has worked. There are no conflicts or shared IRQs that have to do with the modem. I took the modem out and put it in another machine and it loaded right up and worked perfect. :(

System Specs:
450Mhz AMD K6
256MB of SDRAM
Voodoo 3 16MB
Broadxent PCI v.92 56K Fax Modem

If I were you just buy a new modem aren't that expensive. And since one modem worked and the other didn't sounds like one went bad. That or its shorting on something...

No the modems where the same brand. And the modem is defiantly not fried cause Im using it in my backup machine to type this right now. :/

The only thing you changed was the case and video card? It's been a long time since I've used a 56k modem, but you should try checking the BIOS settings to see if the modem interrupt or addresses (the 3E8 shit) are disabled. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. What program is giving the 777 error, just the Windows dialer?

Yeah it was the windows dialer. But now it gives me the error No Dial Tone. =/ So I dont know whats happening.

Try again. Not dead.

Well I have formatted and tried a different port and it still doesnt work. I know the modem isnt dead so the only thing I can think of is it being someting with the motherboard.

Ghetto said:
Try again. Not dead.

Well I have formatted and tried a different port and it still doesnt work. I know the modem isnt dead so the only thing I can think of is it being someting with the motherboard.
Have you tried putting it in any different PCI slots?

Yeah tried different PCI slots as well. But nothing happend still. :(

Its strange how I can still use it in this machine, And it not work at all in the other one when it used to work perfect.

Did you look at the BIOS settings like I suggested? There are quite a few options that apply to modems, and if something is set wrong, it might not work. It's unlikely, but it's really the only thing I can come up with. Maybe the CMOS got cleared when moving it from one case to the other, and your BIOS assumes you don't have a modem installed by default.

Ive looked around in BIOS but havent really found what your talking about. Ive looked around in BIOS once and everything seemed to be in order but ill take another look just to make sure.

Already Tried all of that and nothing worked. Ive also tried messing around with stuff in BIOS and still no luck. I have no idea what the hell is going on with this thing.

Back